Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

Ade354 flywheel

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  char1355 
#1 · (Edited)
I am looking for a flywheel for this engine. It had an automatic transmission flywheel and I am looking for manual flywheel. Please help, I searched around scrapyard and I can find any. Below is the size of the automatic flywheel, the manual is the same size but different design.
Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire Bicycle wheel rim

Automotive tire Finger Wood Tape measure Eyewear

Wheel Automotive tire Rim Vehicle brake Gas
Automotive tire Wood Tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
ADE 354 i believe is a Perkins 6-354 engine. Clutch type flywheels are kind of scarce and very very expensive. Here are photos of 2 different ones. One has bolt patterns for 2 sizes of clutch and the other is just one size. I found that 4111D127 for sale for $1861.31. That's sort of insane for a flywheel for a 6 cylinder diesel but nothing compared to the 41117203 for $4979.34 and that was an aftermarket part. I did find it a little cheaper for $3986.74. This probably why most companies say request a quote. Might need smelling salts too. I'd bet you could have a custom billet steel flywheel made for a fraction of the cost of an OEM part. You might have more success in the UK finding a road type flywheel.

Attachments

#3 ·
We had a lot of those engines used in IH and Dodge trucks here in Aus. Another possible source for 1. Nissan also made a copy of the smaller 6, not sure if they made the larger 354.

#4 ·
That 12 bolt flywheel is a pretty good indication that engine is a Perkins. Detroit diesels also had a 12 bolt but I don't believe this is a 2 cycle engine. Info you find on this engine lists it as ADE-Perkins. Countries like the UK or Australia are probably more likely to have road use manual flywheels. Don't think these were all that big in the USA market except in some farm machinery. A friend of mine had a Perkins 6-354 in his Ford F250 4x4. This was back in the 1970's when swaps like that were just getting started.

#7 ·
I believe the White 2-85 and 2-105 tractors may have used it in addition to the Massey Ferguson tractors and some combines. Ed, didn't know about the Toro application. The main issue is the engine production ceased in 1996 and use in tractors ended long before that in most instances. That engine design goes back to 1960. Being out of production for 25 years means parts are scarce and many tractor flywheels may not be compatible with road equipment. It had marine applications too but that stuff doesn't work on the road either. Most all of the flywheels you find today are aftermarket reproductions and they are extremely expensive. Below is a photo of a flywheel from a Perkins 4.203.2 that has the same bolt pattern but don't know if it fits. Diameter may be wrong. These were in New Holland equipment and are cheap compared to the 6.354 unit. The original Perkins number on this one was 41112406 and the New Holland number 505450.
Rim Circle Composite material Auto part Automotive wheel system

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.