Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My AFC diaphragm won't come out. It moves up and down fine, but won't come out. What am I doing wrong?

·
Registered
84 Posts
pull the throttle

pull the throttle sometimes the pin is riding on the afc just jiggle it a little.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Can you spin the nut off the top of the pin, then you can remove the diaphragm and look to see if something is hanging up in there? Air tool etc to spin the nut off.

The pin that rides on the eccentric fuel cone is known to be sticky, I suppose it could be stuck making it hard to pull the diaphragm and fuel pin out. That pin does come out, I have not done it myself. It looks like the cover is press fit to me.

Better AFC removal photos and 3200rpm spring How-To,

http://dens-site.net/Dodge_CTD/Governor_Spring/

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I decided to pull the top of the pump off and do the 366 spring.....

the AFC pin is FROZEN SOLID!!!!!!!! :pissed:
I can't get it to move in or out at all!!!!! :pissed:

shitshitshitshit......... now what the hell do I do?
Find another pump top?? :pissed:

How much will that be?!? :pissed:

·
Registered
75 Posts
You should be able to oil the pin from the afc side. With the cover off the pump, work the little pin back and forth. It will free up.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh trust me - I DID try to free it but felt I was going to break something!

It's free, but not by me.....

I took the pump cover to TRIPLET DIESEL INJECTION on Waco drive. Steve Baugh fixed me up. It took about 20 minutes and I was heading back home again with the pieces. They'll be getting my business again in the future.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Good to hear! Was it the eccentric cone or the pin that rides on it that was seized?

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good to hear! Was it the eccentric cone or the pin that rides on it that was seized?
The eccentric cone slid up and down fine but would not come out, so I couldn't tell where it was "clocked" at. The small horizontal pin, about 5/32" diameter, was frozen solid. I cleaned everything up and oiled the pin, and also oiled the eccentric slide bore. Everything seemed to be working fine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts