Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
I have just barely over $2000 in my swap. Engine with a trans was $1750. I needed another engine anyways (another rebuilt 400M would be near that anyways). I have to add a few hundred for radiator hoses, welding rods, etc. so i figure around $2k

Instead of getting 10 MPG I am now getting 25+ MPG with the 4BT. If I drive 10,000 miles at 10 mpg (1000 gallons) and $3 a gallon, that would cost me $3,000 in fuel. I can drive 25,000 miles on 1000 gallons of diesel (I run 20% used motor oil, which is free). The swap will pay for itself in 10,000 miles, really. I plan to put at least 100,000 miles more on this truck with the 4BT in it.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Pretty large and wide open question there. How much will swap cost, can you do it yourself, how much do you drive, how much does bio conversion cost, can you do it yourself, are there state or federal fuel taxes due from manufacturing motor fuel, how much does the bio processing plant cost, where are you located? Lots of questions.....
Those are all good things to consider, and need to be answered. I have been reading about .60 a gallon (average) on homemade biodiesel from free WVO.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Now i just gotta get find some WVO sources...
You can't swing a dead cat around here without hitting a fried chicken shop. There's about 30 pleaces in town, at least....and about another 10 or so chinese food places.
I don't know how melted chicken fat affects things, though. I am looking for a place that only does fries.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.