Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There is a Frito Van in the area for sale with an engine mounted aftercooler setup. It also has a vacuum pump for steering and brakes. Would this be something to jump on, or would it be better to hold off for an intercooled version?

I'm thinking the aftercooler version will be easier to swap, possibly keeping my stock radiator and location and my stock brakes with the vacuum pump?

It will be going into an fj62 TLC.

~Bob

·
Super Moderator
8,863 Posts
Technically they're the same thing. But I guess your distinction is that an aftercooler uses the engine coolant?

If that's the case, just plumb up a seperate water system for it and you're done.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Correct, an aftercooler is an air to water heat exchanger mounted on the engine itself. I've read a bit about plumbing in a separate water source, but have yet to see any real documentation of this option. Is it necessary, or just a way to provide the most power?

·
Registered
90 Posts
What kind of power increase do you think one would get with the intake mounted cooler???

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've researched and found that the 4bta engine has a lower 16.5:1 compression ratio vs. the 17.5:1 of the non-aftercooled engine. This should mean it would accept higher boost levels, but I'm not sure about what would need to be done with the cooler itself.

·
Super Moderator
8,863 Posts
Correct, an aftercooler is an air to water heat exchanger mounted on the engine itself. I've read a bit about plumbing in a separate water source, but have yet to see any real documentation of this option. Is it necessary, or just a way to provide the most power?
Basically, a seperate system has the potential to cool down to the outside air temp.
An engine coolant system can only cool down to the coolant temperature, could be as high as boiling point.

All you need for a seperate system is a small radiator out the front (transmission cooler or cabin heater radiator work well), a tank and a small pump.

·
Vendor
2,664 Posts
For simplicity and possibly a better system, I'd go with intercooler

·
Administrator
4,171 Posts
The jacket water aftercooler (JWAC) and the air to air intercooler are both subject to failure. The JWAC fails due to an internal coolant leak into the intake system or the the air passage through the unit plugs up due to running an aircleaner that has permitted dirt and moisture to attach itself to the inner surface areas causing corrosion. JWAC's are fine when they are working properly but be prepared for sticker shock if you need a replacement from Cummins. The air to air intercooler can be adapted from a Chevy, Dodge, or Ford and is readily available from many wrecking yards. The JWAC can be changed to an air to air system.

The bottom line is there is not an unlimited supply of used Cummins 4BT engines out there. The EPay community has already noticed forum groups doing 4BT swaps as their new potential market there by driving up prices. The rising scrap value of aluminum also means higher van prices. Frito's oil change policy that was implemented last year changed the oil change frequency to an oil change and filter every 15,000 miles without any oil monitoring analysis. This isn't good news for anyone waiting for a van with an air to air cooler and an Allison transmission. He who hesitates should be prepared to either pay more in the future or do without.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
What Bob said! NOW is the time to buy, even if it's not exactly what you want. You can always sell later, at the later inflated market price, if you stumble on the engine of your dreams!

I'd double check but a good chance that unit has hydraulic power steering pump teed off to also power the Hydroboost brakes, not a vacuum pump.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I agree!!! with both of them. I waited for a year and couldn't find for under 2500.00, and that was with a ton of miles. If you can get it for a good price then I agree, BUY IT!!! and then change it to what you need for you swap. If I had waited, like most are, for the perfect, low mile, Allision equiped 4BT I;d still be waiting instead of currently swaping!!bounce

I dont' know if you know about it yet but Dove bid is about have another auction in two weeks or so. Check them out it's where I found mine for 1800.00 with 123k on it.:beer:

www.dovebid.com

·
Administrator
4,171 Posts
The vans with the Allison transmission and air to air intercooler are the LAST and MOST RECENT retrofits. They are also the end of the retrofit conversions. All of the new Frito vans now come with a Ford 6 cylinder gasoline engine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts