Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may have been covered on this page before but I would like to ask it anyways. Is there any power, runablity, or need, to run both a air to air and a air to water?:idea:

Thank in advance.:beer:

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Mine's not aftercooled, but from what I read there's not much difference between air-to-air or air-to-water. Can't imagine it would be worth the hassles and space/fitment issues to run both.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Unless you are running ice water, an air-to-water intercooler doesn't offer a lot of advantages, unless you have a lot of long, hard hills to pull up. Air-to-air intercoolers will lose efficiency as airflow decreases (vehicle slows down) and during extended hard pulls (up a mountain pass)

Air-to-water also have more moving parts to fail, or leaks to form. I'm going with a simple Air-to-Air for mine, fine for what I need to do.

Run both? Not needed.

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
I could see running both in some situations, but it would be highly unusual.

One that comes to mind is if you're running compound turbos and wanted to cool the air between turbo 1 and turbo 2 - would be a GREAT place to use an air-water due to the size / location / efficiency advantages of air-water. Then feed from turbo 2 through air-air to the intake.

Another would be if you're really in a bind for space to place a large enough air-air intercooler. Have an air-water using vehicle's cooling system first, then feed that to an air-air to cool it off the rest of the way. Not optimum, and if faced with the situation I'd probably just go air-water and a separate cooling system for it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Has anyone tried using a air to air from a rear wheel drive Volvo car? They are fairly large (about the size of a radiator) and have about 2 1/2 or 3 in input and out put openings. They are cheap and plentiful at Pullapart ($35.00 I think). Not sure if they would hold up to the pres. of a diesel engine turbo. These cars ran around 12 to 14 lb boost. They are aluminum cores with plastic tanks.

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Not sure if they would hold up to the pres. of a diesel engine turbo. These cars ran around 12 to 14 lb boost.
Had one pop at 18 psi in a turbo 4-cyl Mustang.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts