Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,630 Posts
Point taken.

But bare in mind that things like bolt holes also need to be enlarged to allow for expansion as well. Stainless has a higher rate of expansion than "mild" steel. So care has to be taken with stainless in that respect.
Yes, stainless expands 50% more than mild steel for the same temp change.

Mild steel headers work great in a diesel, our exhaust temps aren't high enough to cause problems and diesel exhaust doesn't have a lot of water vapour in it.

·
Super Moderator
9,630 Posts
Granted, the truck could use a larger charger, but my egt's pin the gauge at 1719 degrees before I get the truck out of 3rd gear at WOT. Heavily fueled diesel engines commonly run very high exhaust gas temperatures. 2000 degrees is not uncommon.
Do those temps concern you?
Because they'd scare the crap out of me.

·
Super Moderator
9,630 Posts
You really need 1500-1700 sustained to actually blow a hole in a piston like a torch on one.
The only reason I can see a sustained EGT being worse than running through on acceleration is heat-fatigue related. Such a failure would come down to number of cycles at a certain temp.

Which would imply that you've got a certain number of strokes exhausting at that temp before your pistons give you the middle finger.

In my experience you'll find that every individual puts their own safety factor on their equipment. In the case of diesel EGT's I've decided I'm comfortable with 700C (1300F).
Your comfort figure is guaranteed to vary, but yours is the highest I've heard.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.