Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what are you guys using for aircleaners on your 4BT's?

My engine bay is reasonably tight, a few years back I made my own sheetmetal housing to fit a landcruiser washable air cleaner element.
But it's ugly as sin and won't fit with my new turbo plans.

Considered a new donaldson hi-tech filter (can't recall model right now) but the only one in stock in NZ is too small airflow wise. My only chance is to find a truck fitted with a suitable donaldson filter system and buy that from a parts counter.

What other options are there?

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I think Paul and I figured out we were using the same filter by my dim memory: Fleetguard AH1107, cylindrical cannister 8.5" wide X 10" long.

·
Super Moderator
8,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dougal, I will shoot/post a picture about mid morning, 9/5.

Paul
That'd be much appreciated.
I suspect I may be low on underbonnet space for your solution though.
The high tech one i was referring to is the Donaldson PSD series.

·
Registered
854 Posts
The one that was on an engine near mine at the 'yard had a sticker that said CA-6815 .... crosses over to a filter at NAPA that's about $50

·
Registered
98 Posts
The WIX equivalent and one of the cheapest around

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?partnum=46314

For that matter rockauto.com has the cheapest prices on all WIX filters and MOOG steering parts by FAR, check it out. I have ordered twice and had great experiences, fast shipping, good parts.

WIX filters are the same as the Napa gold line, good filters by all accounts.

You can cross reference for the part numbers at the WIX site:

http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/index.asp

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
For those that like this kind of info:

For the NAPA 6314 (you normally just take the first digit off the WIX number to get the NAPA one in the Gold line..)

Attributes:

Height (Inches):10.88
Height (mm):276.35mm
Top O.D. (Inches):8.5
Top O.D. (mm):215.90mm
Bottom O.D. (Inches):8.5
Bottom O.D. (mm):215.90mm
Top I.D. (Inches):Closed
Top I.D. (mm):Closed
Bottom I.D. (Inches):3.054
Bottom I.D. (mm):77.57mm

·
Registered
808 Posts
Dougal;
Machman just posted the same filter I use with complete specs. I will add the other P/N's Duralite DC085R, CarQuest 88314. The filter is actually made by Donaldson

The air cleaner has a open construction at the connection. I also feed it with 3.0" tube from in front of the radiator to get more cold air into it. Here are the pictures I promised

Paul

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
Guess I might as well put the info for the other filter mentioned:

CA-6815 crosses to NAPA 6268.

Attributes:
Style:Air Filter
Height (Inches):6.38
Height (mm):162.05mm
Top O.D. (Inches):8.5
Top O.D. (mm):215.90mm
Bottom O.D. (Inches):8.5
Bottom O.D. (mm):215.90mm
Top I.D. (Inches):Closed
Top I.D. (mm):Closed
Bottom I.D. (Inches):3.075
Bottom I.D. (mm):78.11mm

Looks like a shorter version of the 6314.

·
Registered
145 Posts
How are you guys feeding that filter with cool air? It looks like there is only one hook-up and and that would go to the turbo. It appears that it inhales from around the single hookup. When you say a 3" inlet pipe from in front of the radiator, that goes to what on the filter housing?

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
I use AFE and when it's gets dirty I just clean it and add oil good to go .I can't see why to keep paying $50.00 and then put it in the trash when they get dirty.

The down side you hear the turbo when it spools up ,I love it that way.

CrewCab59

·
Registered
808 Posts
How are you guys feeding that filter with cool air? It looks like there is only one hook-up and and that would go to the turbo. It appears that it inhales from around the single hookup. When you say a 3" inlet pipe from in front of the radiator, that goes to what on the filter housing?
I cut a 3.0" round hole in the opposite end fromt he regular connection. A elbow fits in that hole and tube goes to a intake in front of the radiator. I have a screen over the intake to keep large junk out. I dont know if this extra cool air means anything at all, but it was easy to do, so why not ?

Paul

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I use AFE and when it's gets dirty I just clean it and add oil good to go .I can't see why to keep paying $50.00 and then put it in the trash when they get dirty.

The down side you hear the turbo when it spools up ,I love it that way.

CrewCab59
How's about kicking down a part number or maybe just a wee bit more info...?

·
Registered
335 Posts
No part numbers, but iv used quite a few of the oil/cotton gause filters K&n, green filter, AFE, etc..and used to sell them. They are are almost identical to each other (maybe made in same factory), and work great....the down side is that most people clean them too often, and end up distroying the filter. They will flow great even when they look dirty and nasty as heck. A pre filter that slides over them is nice because it keep bugs, grass, etc from setteling down in the pleats. Our 91 dodge has been running the same K&N for over ten years on our farm, and looks like new inside. I will never buy a paper filter again. :beer:

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
the down side is that most people clean them too often, and end up distroying the filter. They will flow great even when they look dirty and nasty as heck.
Yes... Filter appearance can be VERY deceiving.. Had the situation where someone had been doing some clear-coat painting in the shop, thought better of things, decided to move one of the vehicles out of the shop before progressing further. Then wondered why it ran like crap the next time it went out on the road.. Nice, clean, clear coated shut air filter..

One of these jewels is worth the expense:

NAPA 4801
Air Filter Monitor
$19.99 online

They also make remote-mount ones, and you might find them cheaper at a local truck parts house, truckstop, etc. The P30 I got has one..

1 - 20 of 41 Posts