Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my AC unit in the mail yesterday from Vintage air to add to my old power wagon. I immediately noticed that the sanden compressor for the dodge must be specific as it looks to be mounted with through bolts toward the block - ming has castings for a swing mount more typical of a SB Chevy mounting system - I didn't think of that when I ordered. I think I can still fabricate a mount to make this one work.

Second thing I noticed was that the coolant casting for the lower passenger side will be in the way - mine angles down and forward away from the block which will be right in the path of the serpentine belt. Does anyone have the part number or particular year of dodge truck for the coolant casting that comes straight out from the block (perpendicular to the main block casting)?

Craig

·
Premium Member
1989 Jeep Wagoneer, 360v8, 727, stock for now,
2,632 Posts
lower coolent inlet

Cummins part 3916625
Comes straight out the side with 2 small pipe fittings for heater hose and what ever.
Here's how I used it on a early install: http://rides.webshots.com/album/549842598ENSUpo
I get a little bit of slippage, a chirp from the alternator when I turn on the AC, then it settles down and is OK.

Steve

·
Premium Member
1989 Jeep Wagoneer, 360v8, 727, stock for now,
2,632 Posts
sanden mount

Heres a pic of a york to sanden mount. Should make a good base for making your AC install. Most AC supply houses should have them.

Steve

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
I just got my AC unit in the mail yesterday from Vintage air to add to my old power wagon. I immediately noticed that the sanden compressor for the dodge must be specific as it looks to be mounted with through bolts toward the block - ming has castings for a swing mount more typical of a SB Chevy mounting system - I didn't think of that when I ordered. I think I can still fabricate a mount to make this one work.

Second thing I noticed was that the coolant casting for the lower passenger side will be in the way - mine angles down and forward away from the block which will be right in the path of the serpentine belt. Does anyone have the part number or particular year of dodge truck for the coolant casting that comes straight out from the block (perpendicular to the main block casting)?

Craig
I remember goin through this too.. Never orded the kit but plan to. They said they could supply a Cummins Dodge 6BT style sanden compressor instead of their generic one. That one will bolt to the 6BT style AC bracket (that does also relocate the coolant port).

Kind of hard to tell, but I got my bracket (and a bunch of other parts) from a local Dodge guy who had a blown up engine. Got everything in my case off a 24 valve engine, but they are all the same. Here is a photo I took of one off a '94. Hard to tell, but the coolant port, the AC mount, etc are all part of the bracket. I'll post up a pic of the bracket itself once I get a new digital camera (mine died) in a couple days... But here is the photo. You can get more photos from this gallery of the '94 that I took pics of..

http://autos.ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/cummins4BT/photos/browse/cd62

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts