Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am in the process of getting some sort of air cleaner setup for effie. i have been looking at donaldson air cleaners. most of the cfm ratings are 6" of water. the one i am looking at flows 457 cfm at 6" of water. is this enough ? the part no.is FWA14-0003.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Can you post any pictures, or links to pictures?

What are the dimensions?

I am using the stock 1993 Dodge 6BT air filter assembly.
(Napa Gold 6338, Baldwin RS3550)

I like the availability at auto parts stores, but the element is about $50 USD. Ouch! It is cylindrical shape, about 21 cm diameter by about 25 cm tall or so.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not sure about pictures. the box is 14" by 22". it may be a little big. i might look in truck wrecking yards as well.

·
Registered
854 Posts
At first, I wanted to find a used Donaldson cannister-style air cleaner, but there aren't any tractor/combine wreckers near me.

·
Registered
75 Posts
300 cfm should be fine for most 4bt's

·
Registered
425 Posts
I used the calculation off of the cumminsfiltration.com site to find my needed CFM. I just copied what they had in one of their pdf files. Just use an online calculator to convert Liters to CID (cubic inch displacement).

Imperial: Air flow in CFM =swept volume5 (CID) x speed2 x VE3 x PF4/1278 x CF

5 engine displacement in cubic inches; 2 maximum engine RPM; 3 Volumetric Efficiency; 4 Pulsation factor

Volumetric Efficiency (VE)- VE = can be greater than >2 for very new engine designs
- VE = 1.3 to 1.8 for 4 stroke engine with turbocharger
- VE = 0.85 for 4 stroke engine that is naturally aspirated
- VE = 1.4 for 2 stroke (cycle) engine with Roots-Compressor (blower)
- VE = 1.9 for 2 stroke (cycle) engine with Turbocharger
Cycle Factor (CF)
- CF = 2 for a four stroke (cycle) engine
- CF = 1 for a 2 stroke (cycle) engine
Pulsation Factor (PF) - only applies to engines that are both naturally aspirated and having 3 cylinders or less
- PF = 4 if only 1 cylinder
- PF = 2 for two cylinders
- PF = 1.33 for three cylinders

You can play around with it a little. I got in the 300cfm range around 3000rpm for the 4bt.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
after all this, i think i will use a land cruiser air filter box. i have a k&n element to go in. it will be cheap to buy, and i will monitor the performance of it with one of those little doodads that tells you when the filter's clogged.

·
Registered
696 Posts
after all this, i think i will use a land cruiser air filter box. i have a k&n element to go in. it will be cheap to buy, and i will monitor the performance of it with one of those little doodads that tells you when the filter's clogged.
K&N's are OKish in non dusty enviroments but I would not put one on mine especially if it was used in a dusty enviroment. But its your engine. Search on some of the Dodge sites they are not highly regarded.

Gaza

·
Registered
854 Posts
Agreed.....K&N are good for flow, but the reason they flow well is they are full of gaping holes that let all kinds of dirt through!

Silica content always increases DRAMATICALLY in oil analysis when using K&N air filters.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts