Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

Air to Air Intercooler

9K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  CrewCab59 
#1 ·
Hi, looking for feedback on what size intercooler worked for you what difference it made to EGT's and performance or mpg's. Anyone used a 5.9 dodge one or a volvo?. Anyone had a bad experience for example too big and it caused lag?

Gaza

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Not sure if it helps but I had very good results with the Volvo intercooler.. They are designed to go up to 15 psi supposedly but I ran mine at 20-25 frequently and never had a problem. 2.5" posts and nice and thin but wide.. Only thing slightly annoying is the drivers side output comes out at a 45 degree angle, horizonally.. I have a 4BT stock intercooler that I plan to use for the next one, most likely, instead of a Volvo again. But they do work well, out of the 740 wagons & such...

Attachments

#5 ·
Andre,
Did you record your insertion loss (pressure) with the Volvo intercooler? I got the impression that it was restrictive when I inserted it in mine. Maybe I should try it again. I have two sitting around here to try.

#13 ·
Never did, not sure how to do that?
Anyway of course it wasn't very scientific, but seemed to work pretty well IMO.. Again planning on using the metal intercooler this time that came with the 4BTA air/air bread truck, "tippiecanoe" brand... Drivers your boost numbers and stories of your power increases always seemed really low to me.. I know you practically replaced everything too at least performance / injectors wise. I bought the 190s and they ran but not 100% correct but I think because I bought the late model when I needed the early non intercooled ones, even though I had a '91 4BTA. The tips were noticably longer on my 190s. So I sold them, went back to stock, engine ran absolutely great, for what its worth... Again yes about 20 to 25 psi absolute max wit hthe pump lightly turned up and a 12cm housing and a bigger turbo like a HX35.. Hope it helps! Andre

#8 ·
#14 ·
Sure would like to see more info on egt limits. I read a from what I thought was a good source that the cummins engine would sustain 1250 and 5 mins at 1350. I try to avoid going there but it has happened and havent had problems yet.
Carl

1979 F-250 crew cab 4 x 4
4 bta
ZF S-42 5 speed
Borg Warner 1356 x-case
Dana 60 rear
Dana 44 front
3.55 gears
255/85R16 tires (33.5x10.5)
Hydroboost steering and brakes
Custom 40 gal. fuel tank
Much more later

#15 ·
I would also like to here the core sizes on some of your air/air coolers. Possibly a pull-off from another vehicle would fit our application better but sizing is very important, to big lose boost, to small not enough cooling.

Also, anyone have experiance with water/meth injection? Those tanks look awful small. Not worth 300-400$ if its empty after only a trip to wal-mart and back.
Carl

1979 F-250 crew cab 4 x 4
4 bta
ZF S-42 5 speed
Borg Warner 1356 x-case
Dana 60 rear
Dana 44 front
3.55 gears
255/85R16 tires (33.5x10.5)
Hydroboost steering and brakes
Custom 40 gal. fuel tank
Much more later

#16 ·
dieselcruiserhead; Drivers your boost numbers and stories of your power increases always seemed really low to me.. I know you practically replaced everything too at least performance / injectors wise. I bought the 190s and they ran but not 100% correct but I think because I bought the late model when I needed the early non intercooled ones said:
I'm pretty sure my 190's were the same length as my stock injectors. I will pull a 190 soon and compare. Good point there. I know that if you insert those injectors in deeper than the stock ones you will not get the right spray pattern in the piston bowl and cause fuel pooling in the top of the piston. I posted questions here and there about timing of the 190's. PDR said to start at about 1.4 to 1.5 mm on the timing. I'm at 1.52mm. I recall in a conversation that the 190's should start here because the VE has weaker injection pressures and will lag slightly on large deliveries. I also got a reply on another site that 1.5 is where the 1st generation 6BT wants to be. Maybe I'll try the stock injectors again but not before looking to make sure my turbo bypass is closed and a slight change to the timing does not improve things. Another thing I need to look at is my exhaust elbow may be a bit restrictive. How is your down pipe from the turbo configured? I had to take the stock cast 6BT elbow and cut a small wedge out of it and weld back together to clear my firewall. Maybe I should fab up another elbow with less restriction.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.