Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

ALH 1.9 in 99 Ford Explorer 5.0 AWD

Tags
4r70w tdi
6K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Dougal 
#1 ·
Hello everyone this is my project page for my TDI explorer AWD. I'm building this truck because I love my 99 ford explorer 5.0 AWD I've had it for 9 years doesn't own me a thing. 3 weeks ago I started my car and headed to work when I loud pop then followed by an knock:( My 5.0 with 220,000 is dying quicky and all the sudden I know ford explorers have a bad rap but try to understand that this truck is like new doesnt leak anything no check engine light sunroof A/C other then a few dents its perfect. But there is one problem I get 9-10 MPG F***ing 5.0 but if it was 1999 again when gas was 89. cents a gallon I wouldnt care. The motor is in ALH 1.9 TDI with 270,000 miles on it I got it for $500. Ok first thing first lets rebuild this motor! New rings, Pistons, rod bearings, seals, oil pan, Timing belt, 12mm injection pump, nozzles (Haven't made my mind on size yet), odds and ends, last but not least extreme green paint to match my Snap-on classic 96 tool box. Motor mounts from TD converions only $280 (FYI Ranger and Explorer share same mounts)

I will be rebuilding the 5.0 as well but at a later time. The only worry I have is the homemade transmission adapter plate I have to make for my 4R70W transmission this will be the hardest part for me because I can rebuild engines all day long when it comes to a part I have never used, seen, made before. I will be using a large plexi glass square to trace out the TDI bolt patten then the other side for the 4R70W the flex plate will have to be reuse and drilled to fit. I never want to hear "you can't" "won't work" its BS failure is not an option here I WILL use this trans and it WILL WORK. No TCM needed since this trans is pressure controlled;) The overdrive will need a switch to lockup since its the only computer controlled part of this trans that I know of.

The motor came with no turbo (Well it did but it's no good) found some used ones with manifold on ebay around the 170 range or I could go all out and get a upgraded turbo I'll save this for last much bigger things on my mind right now I have some turbos laying around the shop if I want to be cheap. I'm a very busy auto mechanic I work 85 hours a week 7 days a week and during the project sundays will be my build day. I hope to have it back on the road in 4-8 weeks.

I'm open to all ideas and help along the way I WILL have questions trust me;) Some before pics tomorrow and video's along the way

See less See more
#2 ·
If your going mechanical I would highly recommend staying away from a 12mm hybrid unless you have pump shop that knows what they are doing and will pop test and match your injectors. The 11mm 300Tdi rover pump is the way to go. you can pick up a good unit from over seas for $300 and just reseal it and shim it for 5K RPM and you will be alot closer than a modified unit IMHO.

#3 · (Edited)
I was reading some facts on the pumps and 11mm is the way to go for sure. I do have a question do I need to have a fuel return line? Also what is a good nozzle size I don't mind black smoke. I found this site prices seem good I think I might buy everything I need motor wise from them Hansautopart ( can't post links ) after the core return its about 300 not horrible.

Just to confirm because even though I been working on cars for 11 years I have done NO tdi's before or much diesels at all. I don't need a fuel pump correct? I was going to mod my gas fuel pump to keep the sender by just cutting out the pump and running a line where the pump was

#5 ·
Stay far FAR away from hansautoparts and any other prothe or pete rothenbacher franchise you may stumble across. Sure the parts are cheap and warrantied but don't do much good when they trash an engine during their failure.
If I were to build a tdi for an exploder, I would go with race 520 injectors and a 2260 turbo. I would also put a franko6 stage 2 cam into it. While you're into it, might as well throw some rosten rods into it along with some asv pistons.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

#8 ·
As you approach 200hp with an ALH, the stock bottom end tends to become a weak point with con rods wanting to smash down, hence the recommendation for rosten rods. I don't think you'll ever approach a 5 second quarter mile in an explorer with a tdi engine. I have some experience building ALH engines and offered a recipe to push you just past the 200 hp mark. You realize those engines start life at 90hp, right? It takes some doing (and money) to more than double that figure. The vehicle that you're putting the engine into is heavier and has a greater cross section, as it relates to aerodynamics, than the donor vehicle so these factors need to be taken into consideration when planning your project.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

#7 ·
OK it turns out my transmission will need some TCM crap (**** me). I hate this **** they never shift right with computer control can't I get an throttle position sensor adapter hook it up to the MTDI next to the throttle cable then wire the adapter into the pcm wiring?

#9 ·
OK I was exaggerating with the 5 Seconds but I at least thought that an mtdi conversion + bigger nozzles + bigger turbo + tune could least get me at least 180-200hp? Also fresh rings and bearings cylinder head boost the compression which really helps.

Off topic today was a good day in progress **** the TCM I found an alternative full manual valve body still doing research but I like the outcome. Also found that my landlord owns a very good reputable machine shop which I showed him my project he thought I was pulling his leg but after telling him that I was dead serious he has no problem making me a laser cut adapter plate from Trace which I still have to make myself but I feel better about that if the trace is really good and turns out well I'll have a professional-looking adapter plate maybe even be able to help out some other members by being able to build some more.

I been looking at all the projects here why do so many never get completed? I know I'm to far in money to stop now over 1000 so far and at this time its my only vehicle.

#10 ·
Once you go mtdi, there is no more "+ tune"--at least not in the way most tdi folks think about tunes. A mechanical injection pump replaces the electronic injection pump thereby eliminating the need for a computer to control injection quantity and timing, guided by input from the electronic go pedal. Any tuning that takes place, going forward, will be turning screws and star wheels. The other item that the computer controls is the n75 "valve". It's really a solenoid that modulates the amount of vacuum that the vnt actuator on the turbo sees--this is how boost is controlled on an ALH engine. With no computer to control boost, you'll need to arrange another way to do so, likely by adding a wastegated turbo with custom exhaust manifold since the stock turbo has the exhaust manifold built in. There are a number of options here.
You can head over to tdiclub.com and check out what folks are doing there. There's a whole section for exactly what you're looking you do. I'll let you know that my daily used to be a mk4 golf with pp764 nozzles, vnt17/22 hybrid turbo, stage 2 cam, breathing and exhaust mods, RC5 tune pushing 28 psi boost and defueling all the way up at 5k revs, and an 11mm IP force fed by an in tank lift pump and it dynoed just south of 200hp.
The major reasons that projects don't get finished, I'd say, is because people go into thinking one thing then finding out it's something else and because life happens. Many projects have been permanently placed on hold due to kids coming along, job loss, or an expensive oops. Others get discouraged when they've spent so much time and money and it's still not compete. My 4bt jeep build stalled out for about a year because I made fabricating motor mounts into a bigger deal than it was(also I bought a house that needed work in that time so that didn't help).
But it's great that you're out there doing the thing and having a laser table at your disposal is going to be quite beneficial to you. I'd bet that there's more than just me on this forum envious of that resource

sent from my mobile look-at device

#12 ·
Sorry been busy guys but got some pics to upload and some progress with the motor. After inspection of the 1.9 I noticed that cylinder 3 has an bad injector so I'm swapping all of them out for a rebuilt set. I have also became a little tight with money so only the head will be rebuilt new valves head gasket cam timing belt water pump nozzles and injectors. The mechanical injection pump also came in 11mm haven't taken out of the box yet but its here. I'm going to have to drop 700 on a standalone TCM which I'm not happy about the one time I wish there was a China knock off if course no one makes one.

Pics coming

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.