Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

ALH 1949 willys cj3a

24K views 62 replies 12 participants last post by  jeep534 
#1 ·
Havent been on here in awhile but I just finished building another jeep and decided to put another diesel in it.... This time im going with VW (because I had it) :) No one makes and adapter for this so I am making it myself. I have the engine block template made. Im waiting on my aluminum plate to arrive. In the mean time I made a crank/flywheel adapter. so for things have been challenging but going smoothly. I test fitted the crank adapter I made. I am at .003 runout on the side and .001 on the face. I can deal with that. I just have to drill/tap the flange for the willys flywheel. Still tons of work to do but im just taking it one thing at a time. Thanksfor looking. I will try to post regular updates.

See less See more
#5 ·
This time im going with VW (because I had it) :) No one makes and adapter for this so I am making it myself.
what transmission are you using? well, in my country it's quite easy to find adaptors for volkswagen engines into chevy transmissions (mostly manuals) to fit into jeeps

#7 ·
have you never even been tempted to replace it with a 5-speed? either jeeps or landyachts, most of the old vehicles originally fitted with 3-speed manual transmissions that i've seen swapped with diesel engines also had their transmissions swapped at least for a 4-speed one

but anyway, that's a cool project, especially for retaining the 3-speed

#9 ·
I thought about it, but wanted to keep it original. Even if I wanted to go to a 5 speed it would be very tough. The rear drive shaft is tiny as is. Some guys have gone to 4speeds, but a 5 speed is almost impossible without a stretch or moving the drivetrain way forward.... toyota 5-speed/transfer case is almost 20" longer than the jeep setup. it also has a centered rear output....

#12 ·
toyota 5-speed/transfer case is almost 20" longer than the jeep setup
in my country the eaton/clark cl2205 is more popular for adaptations into jeeps, due to its availability in local chevys, including the chevette

#10 ·
A t98 is a bolt in 4 speed. Without a stretch in the drivetrain a 5 speed is nearly impossible. I have alot of people request this adapter for a kubota diesel but i do not plan on making one. A company already does and most the guys who have done the swap can only go 45mph without an OD. Now a t98 and a warn od is about as good as it gets.

The stock axle gearing hurt also. Standard i believe is 5.38s

#13 ·
I set the engine in the frame just now to get an idea....and I realized just how much this thing doesn't want to go in there. The biggest issue is the steering box and how far back the drive train is. This engine is tiny but the front edge of the bell housing is recessed about an inch behind the firewall. I just stared at it for about an hour trying to come up with a game plan. I need to find some inspiration! haha. Im taking a day or two off from working on it to see what I can come up with. On a positive note.....I will have plenty of clearance for the hood. and the differential misses the oil pan.

Ive been loosing some steam. Lots of obstacles. My plate came today so I can start working on the block adapter. I holding off on anything else until my new starter gets here. That will pretty much make or break this project for me. If the starter doesnt clear the turbo im kinda dead in the water. so.....friday I will find out. If it clears then im going ahead full steam....if it doesnt, the l-head may be going back in.

#18 · (Edited)
There are a few other steering options....at this point im doing my best to keep it stock as much as possible. I guess I will get it bolted up and do some measuring before I make any decisions there.

im hoping the starter will work out because i put in a lot more time today laying out, boring, and milling my plate. I will still need to drill it for the transmission, but the VW block side is done. It took a long time to mill out the center hole. My machine is small so lots of little passes. I still have to trim it up some and cut the starter area out. I did bore the back side for the VW dowel pins. So far so good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ftVuBJ3Q3k&feature=youtu.be

#19 ·
The starter has arrived. It looks good. Nice and compact and it can me indexed so that should help with turbo clearance. We are headed out for the evening so wont have time to test fit it until later. I also mounted my engine plate and marked out the bell housing holes. It will hopefully all fall into place soon. Updates to come!

#21 ·
Fte- i can see this especially with guys that dont change out trans or axles. I have talked to many flatfender guys about their swaps. Its not so much lack of power but lack of gearing. A 3 speed with 5.39 gears and no OD make for a 40mph on the governor.

These jeeps are so lite with high gearing its hard to put much load on the motor with 200+ft lbs torque.

The flat fender guys that love it are the guys that have swapped axles, stretched and run a 5 speed.

I have talked with plenty of guys from both sides and actually talking to a gentlemen about purchasing his flat fender with a kubota that he isnt happy with, hisbhas a t98 and warn OD and still limited to about 50mph. I would strech and change axles most likely

Ken

#22 · (Edited)
I probably shouldn't have said it that way.... I hate it when people do that about my favorite engines.....haha! I haven't driven one.... im just looking at cost and numbers on paper and i have talked to a few guys that have driven/swapped them. "seat of pants" performance may be way better. But i wouldn't know. SPMachining has a point though.... they still wont go any faster unless gearing or something else changes.... and my TDI motor will fall under the same problem. I plan on running a saturn overdrive in this jeep too.... and this engine should be able to handle it.....as the kubota would too I imagine. What does that kubota run RPM wise?

#24 ·
The kubota can put out alot more then that! They are rpm limited 3k is generally max, like to cruise at 1800.

A couple have been dynoed and one on the site put down 98hp and 290+ ft lbs to the wheels in a ranger, i believe by 2k rpm.

Your tdi will rev higher and be happier there.

Stock carrier NA makes 39hp and 115 ft lbs.

With the kubota you esentailly 2x your go devil's HP and 3x the torque.

But sitting on the governor sucks.

Ken

#25 ·
Ken, Wow thats good power/tq!

Well the moment has finally come..... Its kinda bitter sweet. I have been really excited to bolt everything up, but also have been stressed about the starter/turbo clearance. Im kinda hinging the project of this.

So.....My starter came and i milled down the side of my engine plate where the started goes so I could test fit it. It was really close to the turbo so I drilled an extra set of holes in the clocking ring to swing the motor down farther away from the turbo. Its better but still close. The starter is cast into the bell housing so Im kinda stuck with it there. I think I can get creative with an elbow to make the down pipe go upward a few inches to give the starter extra room, but Im worried its going to cook the starter. Maybe i can make some sort of heat shield/header wrap, turbo cover or something. What are your thoughts? Ive heard some guys that do toyota truck tdi swaps often have starter clearance issues. Im not sure if its a problem or just an inconvenience.

#26 · (Edited)
I am not very knowledgable on VW but can you flip the maniold? Or is this manifold and turbo housing one piece?

:::just looked at pictures above again and saw the manifold is 1 piece. Can you find a different manifold and turbo setup??::::

I bet with a heat shield and or a heat wrap your starter should be okay. Especially if you turn that 90* elbow upward and away

#28 ·
Engine/Trans is all bolted together and sitting in the frame. No motor mounts yet but getting there. You may want to look away is you get squeamish around firewall cutting. :) I had to make room for the vacuum pump and water outlet on the back of the head. I will make a nice box that will close it all up, and paint it to match. I hooked up the battery and cranked it over a second or two with the starter to make sure engagement was good. It turned over just fine. I cranked it in gear with the clutch depressed to make sure it would release. So far so good. Now time to fix the firewall, make motor mounts, and plumb everything.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.