Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
41 - 60 of 63 Posts
Discussion starter · #45 · (Edited)
THanks motohead. I have really been enjoying learning how to use it. Very challenging, but also very fun!

Today I welded in my MAP bung. Then I made a few body fitment adjustments to the fenders and hood. This will be the last time they are mounted before paint. I took a few pictures and now i'm beginning disassembly. The plan is to remove the front end, pull the engine, repair and paint the hole in the firewall.... then I am replacing the timing belt, finish welding all the motor mounts and stuff that I couldnt get to with the engine in place. The I just have to paint the fenders/hood/grill....reassemble everything and hopefully make it move under its own power.

Discussion starter · #46 ·
Well its out! It felt a little unnatural taking everything apart. It only took an hour to disassemble 3 weeks of work! haha!

(dont worry the oil pan isnt touching the ground)

Deja-vu

I started bending up the panels for my doghouse. I welded nuts to the firewall side so I can remove the panel from uner the dash. I also made an opening for the relays and harness for the tdi. The ECU, VNT n75 solenoid, Glow plug relay will all be hidden under the dash.

Curious why you didn't move the motor forward, looks like you have boat loads of room up front to spare. Wouldn't that have been easer to do instead of cutting and patching the firewall? Would have also allowed more room for an OD trans.

Discussion starter · #48 ·
I wanted to keep the drivetrain stock and un modified... (driveshafts are more work to get right than a little sheet metal) I also wanted to stick with the willys 3 speed and overdrive. Just doesnt feel like a willys without all the shifters, and the whine of the straight cut gears. I did some measure before I started, even if I moved the engine forward 10 inches my rear driveshaft would have been 11" long if I went with a 5 speed ax15 or w56. Just not what I wanted to do.

I just finished making my own timing tools, but thank you for the offer. I couldnt bring myself to pay for the tools when I knew I could make them.

Homemade TDI timing tools.

Since the timing belt is done I decided to get to work on the firewall. I Primed and painted it today. There is a painted cover plate that fills the space and provides a place to mount my accelerator pedal. Since the TDI is drive by wire, I am stuck using the VW pedal. Its not ideal but I was able to cut it down and get it to fit without looking to ridiculous. Im not a fan of having to cut the firewall, but it is what it is. You cant see it when you're sitting in the front seat, or from the outside....so Im ok with it.

Discussion starter · #51 ·
Thank you!

sorry for the lack of updates....... I have been working on the jeep here and there.

Rolled it outside for some photos with the hood and fenders on.

I got the hood blocks done and headlight buckets done....

I wired up my marker lights.

I took it for a spin around the yard. It ran great, but anytime I gave it a little throttle only one wheel would peel......So I knew something was up! Pulled it back in the shop and jacked it up.... Spun the the tires and I knew some thing was broken.. :(

Pulled the diff cover and confirmed it had a broken axle! Thank you previous owner. Ahh the joys of buying a vehicle you cant test dive! haha! So I spent the day beating with a hammer to get the broken axle out of the housing and another day disassembling the locker to extract the broken off nub out of the carrier and stoning all the burs. Now its mostly back together but I am redesigning the rear caliper brackets. they ones it came with we poorly designed and in my opinion dangerous. So im a few days behind schedule. I have to get this back together and wire up the turn signals and tail lights. My plate should get here in about 10 days. My goal is to have the jeep done and waiting when it gets here. We will see if I can make it happen.

Here is the damage.

I have some videos from the maiden voyage. I will upload them to youtube and post soon!

Discussion starter · #55 ·
Well.... The jeep is 99% done. Just waiting on shocks. Exhaust is done and mounted. even went on a 3 mile test run! It worked suprisingly well for the first run! No shakes or shimmys. Had her up to 45mpg which was about 2500 rpm. I will post a video once I have a decent one. Here is the exhaust system. Its 2" 304ss.

Let me just say this thing has some giddy-up! 15lbs of boost and a little whistle and 45mph comes quickly.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.