Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know where I can get more information on this? Currently in a D17 tractor, I think it maybe got used in some military and industrial stuff too. Roosa-Master injection pump, can't find a torque spec, the hp is something like 60-70hp but it's governed to 1600 rpm or so, I think. Despite it's 60 years, this sucker is happy to start every time in the summer.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I had one in a D-19 Allis. They were the 1st factory turbocharged diesel ever produced. They were based on the Buda 262 gas engine and were known to have head gasket problems, I can personally attest to that. When it was running good it was a hoot to use, that turbo would come on and the power was just unreal for the amount of horsepower the engine had.

The early tractor pull crowd went nuts for them as they were fierce competitors in their weight class. I have gathered from talking to old tractor mechanics that the head gasket problem was due to improper shimming of the cylinder sleeves causing low deck height on one or more cylinders.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The ones in the D-17, were all na AFAIK, for sure mine is, the D-19 seems to have come out in '61 my 17 is from '57. Looking at tractordata.com the bore and stroke is the same, so they maybe used the same engine and turbo'd it. They also raised the max RPM's from 1650 to 2000.

I guess I was wondering if you could turn up the old Roosa Master, and if so, how far, enough to put in a low-revving truck?

·
Registered
89 Posts
The ones in the D-17, were all na AFAIK, for sure mine is, the D-19 seems to have come out in '61 my 17 is from '57. Looking at tractordata.com the bore and stroke is the same, so they maybe used the same engine and turbo'd it. They also raised the max RPM's from 1650 to 2000.

I guess I was wondering if you could turn up the old Roosa Master, and if so, how far, enough to put in a low-revving truck?
Some early diesels had 3 main bearings as later had 5 . The 3 mains allowed the crank to flex causing it to break. More boost, more power more broken parts.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Early boosted, or early early?

Mine is first year of production of the NA (1957), so probably only has the three main bearings.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts