Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently found a allis chalmers 4 cyl diesel out of a 84 f2 gleaner combine? is there anyone out there with any info on swaps into on highway vehicles or even more info than the farmer gave me thanks to all

·
Registered
23 Posts
hmmm...i have a few allis chalmers heavy equipment.
not sure if an old allis engine would turn the right rpms for a highway vehicle...
the weight combined with a slow rpm motor might not drive like u want

·
Registered
11 Posts
Anyone found any more info regarding this? I have an allis 6cyl turbo diesel calling my name! Or rather begging to be put in my truck! bounce

·
3,907 Posts
What speed range is it (rpm)? Red line, peak torque, etc? When I think of AC I think low RPM. If that's the case, the hardest part would be getting enough gear to make it happy at freeway speeds (as was mentioned previously).

Does it have an SAE flywheel housing (3, 2, ???)?

If you could get a combo of enough gear and tall enough tires, it might work (got an Allison or equivalent manual? I immagine that AC turbo 6 is a beast).

·
Registered
11 Posts
All very good questions! I dont know.
Its in a Combine my grandfather has. I know its a beast for sure! 301CI, turbo, rated at 180 HP. I love the fact its a wet sleeved motor! SOME time in the near future, I am going to go have a looksie and try to answer questions. The combine is pretty well scrap now.

How do I find answers to all that?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Allis Chalmers...I might know a thing or two;)

The 4cyl...or AC 433I (201CID) from the Gleaner F2, ahousl be about 105hp stck, and turn about 2400RPM...you may be able to turn it faster than that, but I would stay under about 2800RPM;) As far as power, never hot rodded many tractors, but in a truck I would think 150-180hp should be possible. If you are planning on putting one in a truck, you'll probably want to find one that had the updated, external thrust bearing on the front of the crank. They had some failures in tractors like that, but the combines didn't have any trouble.

The 6cyl...649T, or 2900T...unless it had an intercooler on it, then it's a 649I, (301CID). 2900's or 649T's should be rated at 120, or 130hp, with the 649I being rated at 145hp. Good engine, could probably get 300hp or so from one, depending on turbo's.

If anyone has any Questions on AC's, just ask. We have been a dealer for AGCO/Deutz-Allis/Allis Chalmers for about 30 years. We've been around them;)

Chris

·
Registered
138 Posts
allis

a company i worked for in western iowa put a 4 cyl turbo in a crew cab ford 3/4 ton mated to the c-6 it ran fine one you were up to speed but they made the turbo pressure side to big and to long and the turbo lag was horrible but it push the truck fine shook like crazy at idle in fact one day we were up town harlan iowa at the parts house getting parts for something and the truck was idling we came outside and the front bumper was laying on the ground it vibrated all the bolts out. rod

·
Registered
3 Posts
Allis Chalmers...I might know a thing or two;)
If anyone has any Questions on AC's, just ask. We have been a dealer for AGCO/Deutz-Allis/Allis Chalmers for about 30 years. We've been around them;)
Chris

Chris,

I found your post from last year while searching for leads on Allis-Chalmers diesels. I have an Allis-Chalmers 30kw generator with a Buda D262 diesel that will not start and I am trying to get it back on its feet. If you see this post I would appreciaqte any leads you can give me for getting a shop manual for the engine and generator.

Thanks,
Rowland

·
Hangs Out With Dogs
2,588 Posts
Ooh, a seance thread! My theory is go with a Ford or something that has beaucoup rearend gearing options and use what you want. The 8.8 and 9 inch go as high as 2.47 and as low as 6.14. If you can find the gears you can get something that turns slow buzzing you right along. Ebay has plenty of manuals for various things.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts