Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched but I can't seem to find any thing on mating a Allison 5 speed auto to a Isuzu 6BD1. It has a Allison 545 in it now but, I would like to have an overdrive for the freeway The 4 spd is just to slow on the hwy.
Any one know if it is a possible swap

Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It is in an 1985 Airstream motor-home and the engine is a mechanical engine. Space is not a problem as it has the 545 in it now. Airstream used the GM P30 chassis for theses coaches

·
Registered
113 Posts
It would pay you to read through the allison info above, will answer most of your questions. You should be able to bolt a medium duty 1000 or 2000 series up in place of the 545. The biggest difference that I am aware of between the two is the 2000 series does not have a parking pawl. If you go to a wrecking yard, be sure to get the complete trans wiring harness, controller, tps if applicable, shifter, yoke for driveline cause you will probably have to redo your driveline. If you just get a trans and nothing else, you can contact Howard's Conversions in Utah and get a complete harness from him. There is a good wiring schematic for 5 speeds in the allison thread that will help you out also.

Mike

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Sticky: The complete Allison 1000/2000/2400 info and swap guide thread

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
I have searched but I can't seem to find any thing on mating a Allison 5 speed auto to a Isuzu 6BD1. It has a Allison 545 in it now but, I would like to have an overdrive for the freeway The 4 spd is just to slow on the hwy.
Any one know if it is a possible swap

Thanks
as long as they have an SAE#3 bell housing, physically the 1000/2400 will bolt right up to the same adapter that the 545 has. same flex plate same torq converter ring same bolts. the 1000/2400 trans are about 3/4" longer than the 545. should be enough in the slip yolk to make it a bolt in. the 1000 has a 3.10 first gear and is rated for 25,000 lbs gvw. the 2000/2400 have a 3.50 (or so) first gear and are rated for 30,000 lbs gvw. the rest of the gears are spread a little differently too. the 1000 and 2400 have a park pawl, and can also have a park brake on the out put. the 2000 has a park brake only and NO park pawl. if you get the early 5 speed 1000/2400 (up to 2004 or so) the Allison 5 speed TCM can be wired as a stand alone TCM, with only a cable operated throttle position sensor hooked to the throttle linkage. Allison sells a really good one. or get the one from the truck you get the trans from, with ALL the wireing harness and TCM. if you get a late model (2005 or so and up) 5 or 6 speed, you`ll need to read the complete Allison thread on this site. you`ll LOVE the 5 speed over the 4 speed Allison. I do !! good luck, and get`er done!! also, you`ll need the 5 speed shifter to get all the speed positions and park. good luck !!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the reply's, My motor home has a gross weight of 15000 lbs so I guess the 1000 should do the job okay.What type of shift lever does the Allison have. Is it a column or a console my coach has a teleflex console shifter mounted to the left of the driver.

The only thing I was concerned about is the lack of electronics as my coach was made in 1985 and there are no computers just a basic 12 volt system.

My 545 does not have the park pawl just the brake drum on the trans

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Thanks for the reply's, My motor home has a gross weight of 15000 lbs so I guess the 1000 should do the job okay.What type of shift lever does the Allison have. Is it a column or a console my coach has a teleflex console shifter mounted to the left of the driver.

The only thing I was concerned about is the lack of electronics as my coach was made in 1985 and there are no computers just a basic 12 volt system.

most shifters in the medium duty trucks are a console or in the dash cable type shifter. you should be able to use the cable already in your motorhome, just mount the 5 speed shifter where your 4 speed shifter is. I know the 545 has a park brake only, and you will have to get a park brake for the 5 speed. I THINK you can use the one off your 545. use the 545 flange with brake drum. bolt the backing plate to the out put housing on the 5 speed. you may have to modify the linkage to make it work, or just get the whole set-up for the5 speed from Allison. the cheapest way to get a 1000 or 2400 is to get it from a medium duty truck, because it will come with the required #3 bell housing. do not get one from a dura-max because it will have a chevy bell housing, that will not bolt up to your current adapter set up. medium duty trucks come with 1000 or 2400 transmissions. the 2400 has a closer first gear to your 545. I THINK the 545 has a 3.42 first gear. the wireing is the same for the 1000 or 2400, same plugs and sensors as long as they are from the same early ( 2004 and back) or late (2005 and up) series transmission. get looking in the big truck wrecking yards to find a complete transmission to take out. you can use a 1000 trans, but if you come onto a 2400 jump on it. if you find a 2006 or later truck get every thing attached to the trans. shifter with cable, throttle pedal, with wire harness( will have the throttle position sensor on it ), wire harness, TCM ( transmission control module) and the A.L.D.L. plug, on medium duty trucks it is a round plug with 9 holes and a sealed twist lock cap that takes the place of the O.B.D.II plug on smaller trucks and autos. get the same stuff if you find an early trans/ truck. the park pawl is extra security with the park brake, you will like it. it dose not matter if the truck has a cat, international, Detroit, or cummins engine. the trans will have a #3 bell housing that will fit your adapter.the more stuff you can get, the cheaper and easier it will be to do your swap.hang in there.

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
I thought the normal shifters were push button panels on the electronic transmissions .
they come lots of ways. push buttons on a shift tower, shift lever on shift tower, shift lever on the dash, or shift lever on the steering column. just depends how they are ordered.

·
Registered
1 Posts
they come lots of ways. push buttons on a shift tower, shift lever on shift tower, shift lever on the dash, or shift lever on the steering column. just depends how they are ordered.
You seem to be familiar with different shifters..... I am interested in putting a 3000 Allison in my F-350. Is there a colum shifter available for my truck that would work with the 3000 and resemble something factory? Possibly out of a F-650 or 750? I know they come with the pad, but it would be nice to have a shifter that works like a regular auto trans.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Hey Shepherd57 did you ever complete your transmission swap? I have a 1981 Airstream with the same 5.9 Isuzu. It currently has the 4-speed AT540 with no parking pawl and with the brake drum on the trans. Did you find the transmission that is a bolt in replacement 5-speed. Did you find a stand alone wire harness?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts