Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I'm a diesel newb. I wish to swap a cummins 6 or 4 into my 1977 dodge sportsman rv. I'm working at a shop and was given an allison 545 trans and the supposed right adapter to mount to a cummins. Was told there a guy with a 4bt around as well. At the time i didn't know which Allison I was receiving. Looks like the 1000s + are the desired type. Is it worth using this transmission and can anyone identify the parts I have? I have a good 727a with a small block in there now, wonder if I can or should stick with that. I would prefer the easiest swap that offers the best mileage if possible. I know the 545 is a 4 spd with now OD. Is there a manual trans that would be simpler? image.jpg

Attachments

·
Vendor
2,651 Posts

·
Registered
11,274 Posts
If you are looking for the best fuel economy and want a auto, use the Dodge 47RH off a 94-95 Dodge Cummins. Second best would be the 46RH off an earlier Dodge Cummins. Both transmissions have the same OD but the 47 has a lock up torque converter. If you use a 4bt, all the parts from the Dodge transmission would bolt up. Not sure there is room in that style truck to fit the 6bt, but it would be quieter and cheaper than the 4bt. Probably wouldn't be a huge difference in the fuel economy between the two engines either.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help. 6bt I think will require a lot of cutting in a sportsman. I was told a guy has a 4bt close by that he's not going to use so if I can get that for cheap ill do the 4. What kind of electronics does the 46rh need?

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Think the best idea would be to scource your engine. Once you know what bell/adaptor is on it you can make a decision based on what it will take to change the trans if it does not match.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts