Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys - new to the forums. Thanks for all the great info! :beer:

I'm picking up a Freightliner MT-45 step van with the 4bt and Allison auto on Saturday. My intention is to use the engine in an offroad truck I'm building, but the 2wd trans won't work for me. What bellhousing pattern will this combo have? Will I be able to adapt this to a Big Three bolt pattern so I can use a 4wd transmission?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If its a AT545 it will probably have a SAE 3 bellhousing. keep the Allison, run a divorced tcasebounce

Gaza
Thought about a divorced case, but I don't really have a lot of room to do that. Plus, from what I've read, that Allison is a big, heavy beast anyway, and I'm trying to keep the rig's weight reasonable.

So, I would need to get an adapter to go from SAE3 to whatever trans I'd like to use, correct?

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
696 Posts
So, I would need to get an adapter to go from SAE3 to whatever trans I'd like to use, correct?

Thanks for the info!
Since the back of the block is the same as a 6bt in a dodge you can use a 1st gen adapter and a getrag or a tf727 or a 2nd gen adapter and a NV4500 or an dodge auto from 94-98. If you get hold of a ford adapter you can use a ZF5 or a chevy adapter and use a 4L80e the world is your oyster. I wouldn't be adding an adapter to the SAE3 adapter, its just not necessary. Sell the SAE3 adapter along with the AT545.

Gaza

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gotcha. Thanks for the info!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts