Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen a some people post infomation about the allsion transmission. I am not to familiar with this transmission. Has any one put one behind the 4bt? How much to they cost? Where do you get them? Are they worth it? ARe they electronicaly control?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
are they worth using? How expensive are they

·
Registered
500 Posts
Why use an Allison if you dont need that kind of durability? What sort of application? They eat up tons of horsepower.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know much aobut them so thats why i was asking.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Your questions depend largely on which Allison you are talking about. This depends on what application you will be using the 4bt in. A LOT of people get all caught up in the Allison name thinking it is the best trans made etc. especially since GM started using the 1000 series trannies. If you look at an Allison trans and it has a 4 digit model number. or it has bolts that go through the meddle of the cast aluminum trans pan then yes it is computer controlled. The computers are not stand alone they are closely integrated with the engine ECM.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I think they are overrated, all the hype about how they are so good, ha funny... 50 horse over stock in a Duramax will eat one up, which is no better than any other OEM auto...

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so bascially what you are saying is that the allison is not worth the cost plus the electronics are just pain and they eat up horse power. is this correct?

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
There is stand alone controlers for some allison's and none computer control as well.

Well a 4bt would have to be built to over power the Allison.

The cost is going to big factor ,they are high $$$.

It also depends on what your plans are as well amd what it's going into.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Some of them are really noisy too. I remember the ones in the IH school busses I rode when I was a kid. Darn near drown out the engine sound. But the diesel is louder than the gas IH motor, so you might be ok. :rasta:

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
any one every put one behind the 4bt? How much hp/ftlbs would you have to get the 4bt up to?

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
As far as non computer controlled Allison's, all of the New World Allison's are computer controlled, they replaced the AT,MT, HT series starting in about 1996. So to get a non computer controlled Allison you will need one of the mentioned older versions. Another issue is actually fitting the Allison into a light duty truck. The trans tunnels are just too small, Allison trannies are rather girthy. The AT series is physically the smallest and it is a tight fit, the MT is bigger and forget trying to fit a HT. I know of a few companies that have tried to make an aftermarket stand alone controller but they have not worked out very well. Allison will not release the programming to allow for total aftermarket tuning, only some of the parameters can be changed, but without all the rest it just does not work well. So I can't honestly recommend them. I can say Suncoast builds a nice sturdy 1000 series, but it's no better than a BTS or Suncoast built 5r110, 4r100, or a Georends DCX trans.
If someone needs some dimensions I have an AT 545 lying around for another project, so I can take some measurements or pics. I also still have my service manuals from when I rebuilt Allisons.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I'd still like to know what your application is going to be|---------FILL US IN ----------| If you're putting it into something small like a jeep, it's not a practical solution. Any allison behind a 4BT in something other than a wheeled artillery gun seems like a moot point. There are better solutions for making a transportation/off-road vehicle.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was thinking about putting in my 1970 Bronco. I am trying to figure out what trans and transfer case to use.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I was thinking about putting in my 1970 Bronco. I am trying to figure out what trans and transfer case to use.
An allison is way too much transmission for an EB in both size & practicality. You'd be better off with a Chevy 4L80-E, 700R4, NV4500, or another common setup for a small vehicle. Transfercase options would be a Dana 20, Dana 300, NP205, etc.

Most people running automatics use a chevy transmission & adapter. Most people running manuals use the dodge setup w/NV4500s. I chose to run a 700R4/NP205 in my 83 scrambler.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I heard that with a 700r4 you have to have a custom stall converter installed.
I was thinking aobut a ZF-5 with a dana 20 but unsure about what year or model of zf 5 to get.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts