Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had an idea about the KDP fix. Instead of making the small tab that simply covers the hole couldn't you just use a punch and hit it in about 3 spots around the hole about 1/16th away to almost peen it over? There is no reason for the pin to come out that way or go in that way, why not fix it and permanently for free? Wouldn't that work as well? Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
That's one standard way of locking dowels in place. I did it to mine.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Staking was covered in a thread posted on 6-12 & 13-2007.

I over-engineer nearly everything so somehting as simple as staking wasn't hard enough for me. I took a thin 5/16 SS washer and welded it to the bottom of a short piece of tubing. I cut a slice in the tubing before welding to open it up enough for the bolt head to clear well. Then I cut a wedge out of a large SS washer and welded it to the outside of the tube. That gave me an ear that extended over the pin. I welded on the shank from a 1/4 SS bolt. After it was welded on I cut it off so it would just protrude into the pin hole. That stopped the whole assembly from rotating when I put the bolt back in. I did slice off the bottom of the tube so there was plenty of clearance at the gear below it. It isn't pretty but I believe it will be functional.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts