Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there guys. i have been looking at turbos for the 4BT. the HY35 seems like a good choice. the drama i have run into is that in australia if i use the words "cummins" and "ram" in the same sentence, things get expensive fast. the question i have is, can i use a jap 6 cyl turbo ? off one of the 5.8 engines ? isuzu/mitsubishi/hino whatever ? anyone had a go at this ?

·
Registered
220 Posts
hi there guys. i have been looking at turbos for the 4BT. the HY35 seems like a good choice. the drama i have run into is that in australia if i use the words "cummins" and "ram" in the same sentence, things get expensive fast. the question i have is, can i use a jap 6 cyl turbo ? off one of the 5.8 engines ? isuzu/mitsubishi/hino whatever ? anyone had a go at this ?
Briney,
Pick one that's similar in size and go for it. Definetly have an eye on the boost and pyro though.
Bob B.

·
Registered
854 Posts
There a a LOT of different Garrett turbos out there with a T3 inlet flange you can try (same as Holset)

I have a brand new Garrett 1.00 AR "O" trim turbine and "S-3" trim compressor I am going to toss together and give a try....

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
The turbos off the Isuzu 5.7L 6 cyl (6BD1T) are I think IHI-RH?7's, a mate of mine works on buses fitted with those engines.
They'll work well if they'll fit, I'm not sure if the mounting flange is T3.

Garrett were advertising a dropin replacement for those IHI turbos a few years ago, a friendly turboshop should be able to look up the spec.
Otherwise, start calling truck wreckers.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Briney,
Pick one that's similar in size and go for it. Definatly have an eye on the boost and pyro guages though.
Bob B.
similar size to 6BT ? yeah, i'd be watching alright. better get my finger out and fit the pyro. oh, and there is a185 hp UD motor ( fe6t ? ) most ud stuff seems to be T3 flanged. might ring some truck wreckers.

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
Oops, I thought I read 6BT. Over here if you mention Cummins and Ram they'll try to sell you 24" chrome spinners.

For a 4BT the T25 and T28 turbos will work fine but don't have the high pressure compressors that the Holsetts have. Maybe some of the T3/T4 hybrids you see going on Ebay would be worth a shot.

I'm running a T25 on my Isuzu 4BD1T from a Nissan CA18DET with a 0.49 A/R turbine housing. I've got 10psi boost by about 1200rpm and 20psi boost before 2000rpm. These turbos are incredibly cheap to recondition too.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, the question is,if people are fitting 6BT turbos to 4BT's, would an alternative 6 cyl. turbo still work.

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
well, the question is,if people are fitting 6BT turbos to 4BT's, would an alternative 6 cyl. turbo still work.
Most other 6 cyls of that displacement rev higher than the 6BT's, you'd have trouble spooling them with a 4BT.
Compressor surge is also a risk.

What are your goals for your 4BT?

*edit*
One that'll work is from the 4.2L Nissan Patrol. A little big but it'll work.
*/edit*

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
turbo pootrols are slugs. i'm not sure one of their turbos would be an upgrade.

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
turbo pootrols are slugs. i'm not sure one of their turbos would be an upgrade.

You can't blame the carpet layer when the house falls down.;)
All your turbo actually knows is the pressure and flow it's feeding and the exhaust flow, pressure and temp coming into it. When you know what your goals are (i.e. low end torque vs dyno queen) it makes selecting a turbo much much simpler.

Here's a list of HX35 applications:
http://www.turbomaster.info/eng/catalogs/model.php?base=holset&pagina=HX35

1 - 10 of 10 Posts