Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm using the dodge thermostat housing and lower rad outlet. Has anyone used an alternator other than the Dodge with these parts? I' prefer to use my chevy internally regulated, but am not seeing an obvious way.

Ideas would be appreciated?

·
Administrator
4,166 Posts
Which GM alternator do you have? Does it have a 3/8 inch mounting bolt that goes through a solid 2 inch mounting housing? Which pulley do you have? Is it the 8 groove?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes that is the style I have. It has a V pulley on it. I planned to swap that out for a 8 groove serpentine.

Perhaps a different question. Is there an internally regulated alternator that is an easy install on the Dodge mounts?

·
Registered
696 Posts
I changed a chevy diesel for a 6BT and had a similar dilema. I had 2 chevy alternators and decided it was easier to get the new thermostat housing and alt mount as this also allowed me to keep my wiring the same as it has a chevy type connector to both alternators.

Gaza

·
Administrator
4,166 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I changed a chevy diesel for a 6BT and had a similar dilema. I had 2 chevy alternators and decided it was easier to get the new thermostat housing and alt mount as this also allowed me to keep my wiring the same as it has a chevy type connector to both alternators.

Gaza
Which way did your thermostat outlet point? Do you have part numbers?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gaza, thanks, it won't be needed I've decided to use the Dodge alt with ext regulator.

Thanks for the info Bob.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts