Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What is the difference between a single wire alternator and a dual wire alternator? and what alternator should I use? The electrical system on my re-power is a very simple 1940 style. I have changed the water inlet and thermostat housing on my 4BT to a '95 Dodge 12 valve style (because it suited my radiator hose configuration better) and then I proceeded to install a '95 OEM Alternator; that's when I noticed a few new problem. First off, The alternator requires a computer assisted regulator and my vehicle was built be for computers where invented. Second, the fan belt from the 4Bt is 53" and I will need at least a 56" or 67" belt, if one is made.

·
Registered
11,225 Posts
The stock belt on a '95 without AC is 65-15/16" OD. Gates green belt part # K080653HD. Not a cheap belt. $52.99 at O'Reilly's and $24.79 at RockAuto. Bit of price variance there. LOL. Didn't realize that year Dodge still had an external regulator. There is a replacement single wire unit available with internal regulator. It is a Denso unit 2227SE. Not cheap if you buy a genuine unit. $299 for the real thing or $139 for a clone. Here's a link to a company that sells them. 136A Denso Style Alternator 5.9 Cummins 1-Wire (2227SE) There is also a company called Transpo that makes voltage regulators. They have one where you can change your external to internal. Quite possible they may have a simple external as well that needs no computer input. Might want to contact them. Here's their site. Transpo Voltage Regulators

·
Registered
41 Posts
You can use that alternator with a range of different regulators. The computer located regulators are a known failure mode and the easy solution for when they fail is to use a pre-computer Mopar electronic regulator. There are diagrams for how to wire it on the net. Those two terminals are both ends of the field, so likely one gets either an ignition source or a ground, and the other gets connected to the regulator.

If you want to get fancy and take exceptional care of your batteries with multi-stage charging specific to a particular battery type then you can use the BalmarARS-5 regulator.

·
Registered
54 Posts
You can use the standard chrysler external regulator with that alternator. Has the triangle shaped plug. Not difficult to wire. The two two small terminals are field terminals. One end is feed from ignition, the other goes to external voltage regulator. The two wiires are interchangable on the terminals. Two wires on regulator,the previous mentioned one from the alternator, the other is also ign feed. Reg & plug Available most anywhere. 91 diesel uses the set up

1 - 4 of 4 Posts