Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What amperage alternator did the B3.3 come with stock? I no longer have any, and I'm debating running a stock setup and a electric vac pump. I may eventually convert to manual brakes (light weight TJ build).

1) Have any of you guys converted to mech everything and used the simple alt?

2) Can any regular off the shelf alts be used on the B3.3 without a custom bracket fab'd up?

3) Does anyone have a spare stock alt from their B3.3?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
841 Posts
You have to remember you don't need a high output alt due to the fact you're not running all that heavy electrical load from the fuel inj ecu etc. The electric vacuum pump draws very little.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I do plan on running my 12v 8k winch, so the alt will need to recharge the battery if I use it. You're right though, most of the E load will be initial battery recharge from start, head/misc lights (mostly LED) and wipers.

My plan was to run the stock Cummins 60a. Start out with the E vac pump, and work myself off vac entirely. I might even use the fuel pump relay to power it since I won't need that and it's key-on. There will be some serious thought needed in designing the manual braking system, so the e-pump is a cheap and easy get-me-going.

I'd be interested if any of you gentlemen had a stock alt still laying around. PM me if you do.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Denso 12 volt 60 amp

Here's all the numbers from the alternator tag exactly like they are printed on the tag:
60 0 - 8 6 1 - 1 6 1 1
10 12 11 - 2 9 4 1
12V
Made in Japan

For about the same price you can purchase a 70 amp alternator with a vacuum pump from a Isuzu 4BD1T. You can use the vacuum pump to operate the vacuum brakes on your Jeep

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ALTERNATOR-NPR-CHEVROLET-ISUZU-TRUCK-3-9L-4BD1-Eng-W4-Tiltmaster-1986-1990-/171126017106?hash=item27d7e7cc52:g:peEAAOSwo6lWM5sV&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Excellent! Thanks man.

I got one of the vac alts. I might be able to rig it up in time, but wanted a solid backup plan. I do wanna remove all the vac eventually.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's exactly the part I'm researching: from where and to where the oil lines are plumbed.

Have a pics on hand?

·
Registered
588 Posts
I'm sure you have a reason, but it seems unusual that you want to convert to manual brakes. Having driven 1960's & 1970's cars & trucks as a youngster without power brakes and power steering, I would do whatever it takes to retain those. I prefer manual transmissions to automatics. I can do without all the other amenities, but I must have power steering and power brakes.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the warning about moves to manual chassis components, but none of my CJs have either power assisted brakes or steering, and I don't miss 'em. I kinda see them as yet-another-thing to fail and either leave me stranded (which they have done actually). The goal in the build is to reduce overal components and complexity, so this kinda fits.

The power steering gear was also toast already. lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts