Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time lurker here with my first post.

I just happen to come across a 1999 4bta with 127k miles on it attached to an NV4500. It came out of a van that was hit in the rear and was totalled. The guys said he would include everything that I needed to transplant it into my FJ60. Now here's the catch. He wants $1800 for everything! :eek:

So my first question to you guys is what exactly is "everything?" He mentioned the radiator, perches, and fuel lines but what else should I expect or need? Second, buying this engine already removed from the van seems a little sketchy but he seems like a great guy and willing to help. What should I look for (physically) when I pick it up?

I've only researched doing this swap for a few months so any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
1. For that price it's a great deal !! A Nv4500 reman will run $1500 to $2000 and still will need the adapter,bellhosing bolts ,clutch ,flywheel.
2. Get all you can get , no matter what it is. I/C ,engine mounts ,Radiator ,exhaust ,bolts ,Hydro boost if it has it , lines, ect.
3. Buying a engine that is pulled out isn't a problem as long as he will stand behind it.
4. Start it up ,need power to starter,fuel and crate for the engine to set on.

Good look and you might get a deal .

Scott

·
Registered
147 Posts
Better pass on this one

It sounds like you should let this one go. Just send me the info and I'll take it off your hands. I paid $2750 for my motor with the negessary adapter, flywheel etc. The nv4500 was $1100 (newly rebuilt). I'm in central Colorado, but engine and trans were from ebay, so shipping was extra. Seems to be a pretty good deal.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I paid $1750 for used engine (no mileage documents) and NP435 trans (no O.D.)

·
Registered
200 Posts
sounds like a good deal to me. i paid 3000 for the hole truck and i didnt use the transmission t19. and still had to buy a gm adaptor and flywheel and starter to mate my nv4500. i would jump on that before someone else does......

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
make sure it's acctually an NV4500...

Personally, i've never heard of an NV4500 setup in a delivery van? It's a later model, so maybe that makes a difference? make sure you know what you are looking at when you get there.

it's a 99, might have a P pump even... if it does, that makes the deal even better...

good luck, it sounds almost too good to be true...but worth checking into for sure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
photos?

you got it. i'll take a few pictures on monday afternoon and post 'em.

thanks for all the input. is there anyone close to or in denver who has done this swap? i'd really like to take a look. beers on me! :beer:

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
That is awesome... Take as much as you can but yes the mounts, etc etc. Good luck with it! Also unfortunately don't forget the spring over for the FJ60, it needs quite a bit of lift to fit...

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
I've done a couple as has www.proffittscruisers.com. You can just barely squeak by with a 4" + lift but it will be super tight. Proffitts does spring overs only for 4BT swaps. You can build a relatively low spring over. Definetely the way to go, also, over super-arched springs. The expensive parts of the spring over are the steering setup/arms, shocks, and the tires you choose of course...

·
Registered
169 Posts
bounce Man if you don't buy it let me have his phone number. I'm only 2 hours away and have cash in hand.bounce

1 - 14 of 14 Posts