Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just thought i would start showing some of my work on my 72 early bronco. I have been working on this for about 4 months now. I am using a 4bt out of a grumman bread van, and wanted to run an overdrive without electronics so I went with a 700r4 from TCI their 4x4 maximizer tranny for the 6.2 diesel and matching converter, This may have been a bad choice in some peoples eyes and may soon be known in mine as well. I am also going to run the np205 transfercase ford setup. plans for the 4bt I intially wanted to rebuild it but funds cut me off, it ran good in the breadvan so I think it will be alright. I do have the new gov spring to raise the rpm up to 3600 i believe.Thus far I have removed all old engine trans t-case ect from bronco. I went with a 2 inch body lift to help me with the tall 4bt, soon i started notching the frame for the starter and crank pulley. Moved on to motor mounts and then cutting the oil pan and moving the sump towards the passenger side almost 2 inches. Thanks to those brave souls on this site who I got the idea from. I am currently waiting on the transmission to get back from the trans shop I had to have a new shorter rear output shaft put in from advanced adapters to couple the gm to ford t-case. I am going to try and post pics but am new to forum posting so we will see what happens.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
some pics

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
more pics,

Attachments

·
Registered
232 Posts
Nice and simple looking so far, hope it all works out well. Didn't like the idea of using a 5 speed? Love the oilpan, wow, looks like a gorrilla job; ugly but strong :). Are you anywhere near Branson, MO? I live about 35 miles from there.

Does the Bronco have a manual steering box? Looks like it from here, just wondering.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah the oil pan was along day.... i could have cleaned it up but just didnt feel like at the time if and when i go to rebuild the 4bt i may clean it up then. It has the power steering gear box just no lines hooked up. I am originally about an hour NE of branson but currently reside in KC MO.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Lookin very good. I love early Broncos and I love 4bts so its a win win for me!!!

I don't think you need to rebuild that motor. I have a friend with 500,000+ miles on his 6BT and it still runs like a champ and he's not easy on it! I had to change the head gasket on my 4BT when I got it (leaking water from the back water jacket) and you could see all the hatching in the cylinder walls plain as day. Looked like a brand new motor inside. I also read a thread on the DTR about a guy with over 500,000 miles on his 6BT, he blew a head gasket from pushing too much boost, any way he had pics of the cylinders with the head off and lo-and-behold there was still cross hatching in there!!!! Half a million miles and hardly any wear!

Just my $.02 we'll see how long my 4BT last, only got 9k miles on the swap so far.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts