Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1972 F250 4x4, 78 d44, np205
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are some here who might be able to cross reference this as the data tag is missing. Needing a CPL or other pertinant info. Thank you for any help.

Would the typical Cummins Engine B Series Troubleshooting and Repair Manual from the 1990's work for specs?

I have contacted Cummins tech line and they are not able to find anything based on ESN 00031586 probably because it's 28 Dec 1974.

I did Cummins Quickserve app using ESN 00031586 and it came up with this:

Build date 28 Dec 1974, didn't realize it could be that old.

Here is the pump if that helps to cross reference:

I'm tearing this down in preparation for going to the machine shop. Piston #3 was melted and intake valve was stuck open. Fingers crossed for no cracks after magnaflux.

Pending this, this will go into a 72 f250 4x4. It was originally mated to a '95 dodge n4500hd 2wd/bellhousing which will go in the project. I'm swapping shafts on the nv4500 and putting on the chevy short tailshaft 2wd components.

Thanks again,
Sam
72 f250 4x4 divorced np205, 78 d44

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
The Cummins NH220 engines are very much older and different than the B-series engines.

Take a closer look at your ESN

Reactions: stpackard and Goat

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. I’ve wire wheeled the block completely, the only identifier is the block #. Fortunately it seems I will be able to find the parts using the Cummins 7digit #’s.
I bought a ‘94 B series paper copy shop manual so I think I have what is needed to move forward with the right way to do it, mins/max inspections, and torque, misc specs.

·
Registered
12,179 Posts
Are you sure what engine you have there. The NH220 is huge. That is a 14 liter 6 cylinder, which is nearly 3 times the size of a 6bt/ Have you got some photos of the complete engine? I wouldn't see how you'll fit that into an F250. The NH220 weighs 2800 lbs. Your injection pump tells you that it's a 4 cylinder engine so that ESN you plugged into quick serve was meaningless. Your injection pump 0 460 424 022 has a Cummins part number 3908185. Can't tell you the CPL but I suspect it may be an industrial like Case tractors. Sounds like you have a 4bt. All references I can find show it used on a 4t-390 which is a Case designation for a 4bt.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your reply. The only identifier is the block # which seems meaningless to Cummins. I’m not going to pursue it any more. It is for sure a 4BT. I’ve been able to go off the piston #’s and 7digit #’s for rebuild parts. I was told the pump had a CX designation so what you’re saying about it being from a Case sounds right.

This was all a package deal, 4bt, dodge adapter/bell housing, and dodge nv4500hd all together for $1600. Going through it, the nv4500 has been in excellent shape. I figure that for all that plus the included hx30w, brackets, clutch pieces, flywheel, it’s a good deal. The seller removed it all from a converted Chevy blazer project bought at auction.

Taking the block and rotating assembly to a machine shop next week. Will need bored and new pistons. Will have to find a new head and all the other pieces to make it factory fresh.

Though it’s not ideal that the engine is missing the tag, the other adapter plates, trans, and bracket parts are worth it. I couldn’t pass up all this just because of a missing tag.

As another member stated, I lose big on my projects, but I will hopefully have a runner in the end.
Sam

·
Registered
12,179 Posts
Missing ID tags in not unusual. Not sure what that CX code is. I know RX is a rebuilt part. If the engine had ever been rebuilt by Cummins the serial number may be stamped on the back of the block just below the head.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My engine, cpl 0730 has the same pump # as yours. I will assume you do not have an afc top on that pump unless it has been added. If it would help I could offer you the esn to use for ordering parts.

·
Registered
12,179 Posts
Levis, that is interesting. Could you post the ESN. I looked at a CPL 0730 but it had injection pump 0 460 424 024 There are often various pump numbers depending on date of manufacture. Also found one with pump 0 460 424 081.The one I looked at was built in 1993 so that is a good bit later in the program. Like yours, that engine didn't have the afc or ksb. That CPL covered a time period from 1984-1996.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I suppose I should have said that I can offer the. Portion of the Esn that I have. Because it looks like the tag was damaged and missing a few numbers

·
Registered
12,179 Posts
Yeah, that one will be a bit hard to guess at. Looks like the first 3 numbers are 447 and last 3 are 941. For some reason that ID plate looks kind of familiar. I'd only have to check 100 numbers to find it. Love a challenge.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey guys, helpful information, thanks. Levis, What did your engine come out of and what are you running it in? I was told mine was an 0730 CPL based off the pump#.

If you’re running your engine in a vehicle, how does yours perform with the injection pump? It’s my understanding that it produces lower hp/torque beings that it might be a construction engine pump. Reason for asking is I don’t know whether to invest in it going through it or find one more road oriented.
Thanks
Sam

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
char1355, I admire your drive in searching through 100 serial numbers! (y)Thanks again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Char; I am 86 (Or so) percent certain that the fourth digit is a “2”.
Sam; I don’t claim to be any source of knowledge on the ve pump but my understanding is that our pumps will deliver as much fuel as an on- road pump because they have the same 12mm plunger. I have yet to even hear mine run; it is mounted in a ‘97 F-250 though. What these pumps lack is the AFC, which basically retards the fuel delivery until there is sufficient air to make it burn. And, the cold start function. I do believe it will work, it is simply more subject to operator error. A few guys here have already used the non- AFC pumps so I am going to give it a go.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am not sure what it was in except that it moved a lot of hydraulic fluid. The crankshaft was turning a 3- section pump and there was yet another bolted to the timing cover. I bought it from a slipforming company.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks again for the helpful information!
Is this hx30w worth cleaning up and going through, size wise? Spins fine and nothing seems broken.
Pardon my ignorance but looking at other hx30w pictures it seems as though some have larger openings and maybe bigger impellers.

·
Registered
12,179 Posts
The HX30W came in 4 sizes of inducer. They came in 40mm, 42mm, 44mm, and 46mm. The first 3 sizes all have a 3" air inlet. The 46mm has a 4" Your part 4035052 is an industrial model of the 42mm. Without seeing the whole unit I'm guessing it has a slip on compressor outlet instead of the clamp on elbow found on the road units. Probably looks something like the photo below. Same basic specs as the road use model only a different outlet connection.

Levis, I ran those 100 numbers and came up dry. I think my error is that 3rd digit. If you can give me a read on that number I'll play some more. I'm sure the first two are 44 but the next one is fuzzy. For some strange reason that ID plate looks awfully familiar like I had traced it before. Need the brain exercised. LOL.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Char; I’m pretty sure the 3rd and 4th numbers are both 2. I believe the last time I went down this rabbit trail, I got a serial # that was real close, but not spot on.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts