Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
61 - 80 of 82 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,199 Posts
Understood and I’ll make that happen.

May I ask what your opinion is of what I have set up on the other side of the air filter intake?

It’s an ARB snorkel for 80 series Land Cruiser, modified to fit my needs. Put there to provide fresh air to the motor, no intention of deep water fording or mudding. If the snorkel isn’t more of restriction than benefit, I’d eventually like to swap out the scoop for a Donaldson pre filter top.

And Mr. Dougal, thank you for being so generous with your time and knowledge to this and other forums. Turbo choice and installation, thread pitch for water inlet and oil sensor, are a few items that you’ve inadvertently helped me with during this particular project by reading past threads. That’s not counting help with the other rebuild as well.

If you ever come over this way, I’d like to buy you food and drink in a non romantic fashion.(y)
So ram-air doesn't exist at legal speeds. If you can do 300km/h (180mph) then it's worthwhile but you'd need a massive scoop to collect enough air.
Instead those hoods just collect insects, snow and leaves.

I'd run a pre-cleaner, something like the Donaldson Top-Spin and run a Donaldson Informer on the intake so you can see how hard the engine is having to suck. These latch at the max vacuum so you can see what's going on.
Not sure how you'll get on with mounting though: https://www.donaldson.com/content/d...1382-ENG/TopSpin-HD-Air-Intake-Precleaner.pdf

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Had some time off yesterday to work on this, the goal was to try and start it! Long story short, I got a single engine rotation out of my brand spanking new starter before it let out a puff of smoke. Out of warranty of course, ground testing (no bench) revealed that the bendix engages but does not spin.

Road surface Automotive tire Asphalt Motor vehicle Wood

Before my failed attempt at starting I prelubed the bearings in the turbo by removing the oil supply line and air intake then added oil and rotated shaft.

Also tried to purge the fuel system by pulling vacuum on the fuel return line by the IP with no luck. Anyone done this successfully?
Vacuum on the fuel supply line before IP delivered lots of fuel.

·
Registered
93 W4000 and 84 J20 Honcho
43 Posts
Had some time off yesterday to work on this, the goal was to try and start it! Long story short, I got a single engine rotation out of my brand spanking new starter before it let out a puff of smoke. Out of warranty of course, ground testing (no bench) revealed that the bendix engages but does not spin.

View attachment 133798
Before my failed attempt at starting I prelubed the bearings in the turbo by removing the oil supply line and air intake then added oil and rotated shaft.

Also tried to purge the fuel system by pulling vacuum on the fuel return line by the IP with no luck. Anyone done this successfully?
Vacuum on the fuel supply line before IP delivered lots of fuel.
The hockey stick 🏒 shaped contact may be worn down if it’s not a wire connection issue. Very simple to fix but the part was so cheap that shop’s stopped selling them to non-licensed builders.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 · (Edited)
Good news, continues to start and idles nicely and the electrical system is sorted out alt charging and all.

Areas of opportunity: 1 out of 5 starting attempts the starter gear will not mesh with the flywheel and I have to rotate the flywheel forward or back a little bit. Otherwise it engages just fine, no visible marks on the flywheel or starter gear teeth where it is grinding or anything.

Also, haven’t figured out how to setup the clutch fork and slave cylinder pushrod. Didn’t help that the first time I assembled it, I omitted the spring return.

This little guy:
Hand Finger Gesture Body jewelry Thumb

So, played the disassemble and assemble game.

Apart.

Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Tire Vehicle

Together.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

So even with the spring installed, it doesn’t seem to provide enough resistance on the fork to keep the slave cylinder pushrod compressed.

Any ideas?

Screenshot of online pic. showing similar setup. Funny the author of that article also forgot the retaining spring…

Light Automotive tire Font Motor vehicle Screenshot

I think I need to add a spring to keep the slave cylinder rod compressed, holding the release bearing an 1/8” away from the pressure plate. Blue arrow bellow.

Automotive tire Automotive design Bumper Rim Automotive exterior

Sound right?

Like this…

Automotive tire Grey Motor vehicle Gas Auto part

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 · (Edited)
Read on the internet (so must be true) that pressure relief bearings on modern hydraulic clutch systems indeed have a type of preload and run constantly on the PP. Also, I found were folks had modified that system with springs and stops similar to what I was proposing above. For now, I’ll follow the KISS method.

Source:Engine/Transmission (1998.5 - 2002) - Warning to others about throwout bearing noise

After solving that, I ran into a couple of issues caused by my own lack of reading compression.

I tried to use an Isuzu pressure plate with the dodge clutch disc, fit fine but the nubs on the side didn’t allow the clutch fork to fully disengage.

Isuzu left dodge right.
Plant Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Wheel

Also, the clutch disc was not able to fully contact the flywheel because the bushing in crankshaft was too long and I had used washers under the flywheel bolts which was also enough to make contact with the disc.

Eye Human body Automotive lighting Automotive tire Rim

Took the washers out and ground down the bushing while still in the crank, not elegant but it worked.

Automotive tire Fender Automotive wheel system Wood Rim

Manuel says no individual washers behind flywheel bolts.

Font Parallel Pattern Circle Art

All back together again, happy to report things seem to work as they should, made to the mailbox and back. Hoping for an initial road test today.

Automotive tire Tread Wheel Tire Road surface

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive design

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle

Good day to all.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Bit more work. Added a ground cable from the starter housing to the batt. compliments the one going from the cylinder head to the batt.

Automotive tire Hood Automotive exterior Bumper Motor vehicle

Installed a fuel shut off cable and brackets.

Art Font Painting Visual arts Metal

Engine side. (Zip tie was cut off)

Motor vehicle Light Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior

Successful initial road test, have video haven’t been able to upload.

Plenty of bugs to iron out, but made it there and back. Felt good, hope the smoke clears up.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 · (Edited)
No resistance at all. I wonder what your uncle has going on? I was hoping the cable would be multi strand like a bicycle cable, but it is a single strand.

Used this one with homemade brackets

Font Audio equipment Cable Electronic device Wire

Couldn’t upload a video but try this link for shut off cable in operation. I push it in at the end, but I think it would retract by itself.

and the 1st road test.

·
Registered
284 Posts
No resistance at all. I wonder what your uncle has going on? I was hoping the cable would be multi strand like a bicycle cable, but it is a single strand.

Used this one with homemade brackets

View attachment 134325

Couldn’t upload a video but try this link for shut off cable in operation. I push it in at the end, but I think it would retract by itself.

Fuel shutoff

and the 1st road test.

1st road test
I went with a military fuel shut off cable too, has a twist lock for locking cable open or closed.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Thats great! "Looks like its on the road now.
Put a big ol’ smile on my face that’s for sure, that last part is quite generous though. It made it there and back but I’m glad I turned around when I did because a loose oil supply line to the turbo coated the DS inner fender well with rust proofing agent. Next time out I’m shooting for a trip around the block, about 6 miles. If Im comfortable there, go a little farther. Baby steps, lol.

Yes, I expect plenty more changes in the name of efficiency as I get more miles and save more pennies.

No clearance issues with the motor, my non calibrated eyecrometer says it has a smaller footprint than the 6.2 it replaced. Looks like it belongs there

To bad GM didn’t start their partnership with Isuzu sooner, but as long as I’m wishing it would have been nice to see what the 6.2 would have been as designed by DD before the GM bean counters whittled away the design because it made cents.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I’m using a similar fuel shut off cable which is actually an aviation fuel mixture cable made by McFarlane Aviation. They are quite expensive, but I was lucky enough to get a used one for free. ( general aviation aircraft in the US generally have these cables changed out when the engine is being overhauled even if the cable is in good working condition) if you have any friends in aviation, you might be able to pick one of these up for little to nothing. Very high quality stuff
Slope Font Parallel Circle Electric blue

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 · (Edited)
Hooked up power to the EGT and oil pressure gauges and took another drive. This was getting into in 4th gear.

Gauge Motor vehicle Speedometer Car Automotive design

Probe is pre turbo, manual says max temp pre turbo is 750 C. Appears I have room to play!

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Black Automotive wheel system Automotive exterior

Before that, I need to sort out the power steering system. Can’t seem to eliminate bubbles in the reservoir after running for a few minutes. I’ve bled the system manually several times, apparently not well enough.

Also, I’d like to add the Top spin and the Informer as suggested by Dougal.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I like the locking part, that would be a nice theft deterrent along with the third pedal.
A remote starting button, & locked hood are good theft deterrents too...

Reactions: joshuak
61 - 80 of 82 Posts