Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,175 Posts
Understood and I’ll make that happen.

May I ask what your opinion is of what I have set up on the other side of the air filter intake?

It’s an ARB snorkel for 80 series Land Cruiser, modified to fit my needs. Put there to provide fresh air to the motor, no intention of deep water fording or mudding. If the snorkel isn’t more of restriction than benefit, I’d eventually like to swap out the scoop for a Donaldson pre filter top.

And Mr. Dougal, thank you for being so generous with your time and knowledge to this and other forums. Turbo choice and installation, thread pitch for water inlet and oil sensor, are a few items that you’ve inadvertently helped me with during this particular project by reading past threads. That’s not counting help with the other rebuild as well.

If you ever come over this way, I’d like to buy you food and drink in a non romantic fashion.(y)
So ram-air doesn't exist at legal speeds. If you can do 300km/h (180mph) then it's worthwhile but you'd need a massive scoop to collect enough air.
Instead those hoods just collect insects, snow and leaves.

I'd run a pre-cleaner, something like the Donaldson Top-Spin and run a Donaldson Informer on the intake so you can see how hard the engine is having to suck. These latch at the max vacuum so you can see what's going on.
Not sure how you'll get on with mounting though: https://www.donaldson.com/content/d...1382-ENG/TopSpin-HD-Air-Intake-Precleaner.pdf

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Had some time off yesterday to work on this, the goal was to try and start it! Long story short, I got a single engine rotation out of my brand spanking new starter before it let out a puff of smoke. Out of warranty of course, ground testing (no bench) revealed that the bendix engages but does not spin.

Road surface Automotive tire Asphalt Motor vehicle Wood

Before my failed attempt at starting I prelubed the bearings in the turbo by removing the oil supply line and air intake then added oil and rotated shaft.

Also tried to purge the fuel system by pulling vacuum on the fuel return line by the IP with no luck. Anyone done this successfully?
Vacuum on the fuel supply line before IP delivered lots of fuel.

·
Super Moderator
9,175 Posts
You need to pump fuel through. They feel like it has a spring loaded check valve which you end up pumping against. Vacuum can only draw ~14psi pressure difference.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Another point in favor of pressurizing the fuel system. Don’t know that vacuum would have shown me that leaking rubber washer at the IP.

Automotive tire Helmet Road surface Asphalt Grey

Anyway it’s alive, idled nicely for a couple of minutes. Almost two years to the day it arrived on a pallet. Lot of work left, but I’m tickled pink.

·
Registered
93 W4000 and 84 J20 Honcho
40 Posts
Had some time off yesterday to work on this, the goal was to try and start it! Long story short, I got a single engine rotation out of my brand spanking new starter before it let out a puff of smoke. Out of warranty of course, ground testing (no bench) revealed that the bendix engages but does not spin.

View attachment 133798
Before my failed attempt at starting I prelubed the bearings in the turbo by removing the oil supply line and air intake then added oil and rotated shaft.

Also tried to purge the fuel system by pulling vacuum on the fuel return line by the IP with no luck. Anyone done this successfully?
Vacuum on the fuel supply line before IP delivered lots of fuel.
The hockey stick 🏒 shaped contact may be worn down if it’s not a wire connection issue. Very simple to fix but the part was so cheap that shop’s stopped selling them to non-licensed builders.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 · (Edited)
Good news, continues to start and idles nicely and the electrical system is sorted out alt charging and all.

Areas of opportunity: 1 out of 5 starting attempts the starter gear will not mesh with the flywheel and I have to rotate the flywheel forward or back a little bit. Otherwise it engages just fine, no visible marks on the flywheel or starter gear teeth where it is grinding or anything.

Also, haven’t figured out how to setup the clutch fork and slave cylinder pushrod. Didn’t help that the first time I assembled it, I omitted the spring return.

This little guy:
Hand Finger Gesture Body jewelry Thumb

So, played the disassemble and assemble game.

Apart.

Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Tire Vehicle

Together.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

So even with the spring installed, it doesn’t seem to provide enough resistance on the fork to keep the slave cylinder pushrod compressed.

Any ideas?

Screenshot of online pic. showing similar setup. Funny the author of that article also forgot the retaining spring…

Light Automotive tire Font Motor vehicle Screenshot

I think I need to add a spring to keep the slave cylinder rod compressed, holding the release bearing an 1/8” away from the pressure plate. Blue arrow bellow.

Automotive tire Automotive design Bumper Rim Automotive exterior

Sound right?

Like this…

Automotive tire Grey Motor vehicle Gas Auto part

61 - 66 of 66 Posts