Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

Another K30 with a 4bd1t... eventually.

15K views 144 replies 20 participants last post by  joshuak 
#1 ·
Greetings folks,

Newbie here, both to the forum and to motors swaps. I wanted to start a thread to share a project I'm working on and hopefully get some pointers.

So, this:

In this:

See less See more
#81 · (Edited)
Thank you for taking the time to answer and taking advantage of your attention, a few more questions.

In your opinion is that too much? Do you think I should work on trying to lower that amount of vacuum? Would it be worth it to put the informer pre filter see to see if I should upsize air intake pipe? And if that is decent try a different filter?

Edit: the only reference online I’ve found is from Donaldson for their filter minder and they have that amount of vacuum when the filter has seen approx 85k miles, lol. Not new.

Filter Minder® - Typical Air Filter Restriction Readings

#136 · (Edited)
Another hundred or so miles on the odometer, kind of at that point where I think it’s “running” so, time to follow this sage advice.

Get everything running first. Polish later.
Started with the exhaust. 3” mandrel bent pipe from turbo originally used Dynomax #17744, advertised as 3” inlet/outlet but if you read some more it actually necks down to 2.5” inside muffler. Tried straight pipe, too loud for my taste. Replaced with Dynomax 17220. Sounds good and I “think“ (based on gauge interpretation) that EGTs are down and gained a few psi of boost.

In regards to intake, I’m currently drawing air from inner fender well, similar setup to the Ford 150 the housing came from.

As noted earlier the snorkel, pre filter, filter setup was drawing 18”h20, which is over Holset’s requirements.

From member eggman918:
Holset says 15”h2o . (Snip…)
As it is now, after the filter it draws less than 10”h20.

#83 · (Edited)
Pre and post filter (right and left respectively). Looks like snorkel is the culprit.

Automotive tire Gas Electrical wiring Automotive exterior Cable

Dougal going to follow your suggestion, focus on getting it running and go from there.

Speaking of getting it running, it shut off twice on my most recent trip around the block. Both times going along fine, then stutters, then off. Starts up easily afterwards.

In the driveway I was able to get this video, although here after stuttering when I rev it up it doesn’t shut off.

October 9, 2022

Am I correct in looking at the fuel system first? Quantity/quality kind of a thing? Thinking of draining the fuel tank and replacing the fuel filter. Filter is new, but still have old fuel in the tank. I’ve already cleaned the screen at the IP.

#84 ·

Am I correct in looking at the fuel system first? Quantity/quality kind of a thing? Thinking of draining the fuel tank and replacing the fuel filter. Filter is new, but still have old fuel in the tank. I’ve already cleaned the screen at the IP.
I have not re-read your previous posts. Question: Do you have the original fuel sock on the fuel pickup tube? Diesel fuel is known to plug-up thes gasoline fuel socks.

Russ

#86 · (Edited)
Draining the fuel tank, a new filter and fresh fuel seems to have done the trick. Put a few miles on her this afternoon and all went well.

So, the Max fuel screw has been adjusted previously on this motor and I’m wondering if something would be gained by adjusting it.

A couple questions, what gauges would you folks recommend having for tuning purposes and how to go about it?

I live at sea level and there are no decent grades to use test hills so to speak, Lots of flat country roads though. Same stretch 0-60 pulls? Add/tow a heavy load and same stretch 0-60 pulls?

Currently, if I catch a gear (4-5) at low rpm and try to add fuel to power through egt’s get hot quick (1200F) and I feel the need to back off, she cools off and then ease back into it.

#87 ·
Heavy towing is a great way to load them for tuning. 1200F isn't a problem as long as your reading is accurate and pre-turbo. I've run mine at 750C (1380F) for minutes at a time with no issues and hotter intermittently.

What's your turbo and intercooler setup?

The fuel screw limits fuel but so can the rack limiter which is found at the front of the pump. It seems like they hit the front rack limiter at maybe twice the stock fuelling then to get the last third you've gotta adjust the limiter.

#88 ·
Thank you for your answer Sr.

EGT probe is located pre turbo, threaded into the exhaust manifold.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Black Automotive wheel system Automotive exterior

Turbo is a TD04HC-19T (genuine imitation I think), I won’t share CFM ratings for the intercooler because you’ve warned me before about that being rubbish.:)

Pics of turbo, IC, air pipes and apparently Baldy volunteered too.

Saw Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bumper

Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Vehicle Automotive air manifold Car

Grille Motor vehicle Automotive design Hood Automotive exterior

White Light World Branch Sky

#89 ·
Thank you for your answer Sr.

EGT probe is located pre turbo, threaded into the exhaust manifold.

View attachment 134579

Turbo is a TD04HC-19T (genuine imitation I think), I won’t share CFM ratings for the intercooler because you’ve warned me before about that being rubbish.:)

Pics of turbo, IC, air pipes and apparently Baldy volunteered too.

View attachment 134578

View attachment 134586

View attachment 134587

View attachment 134583
That turbo, is without question a good choice...IMO. What are the specs on that filter?

Reactions: joshuak
#99 ·
Shortened the waste gate rod about 3/8” (1cm). Test drive showed an increase of a couple psi, so went from 8 to 10 psi. Pretty far away from the recommended 25. I double checked the hose clamps, nothing was loose.

Am I doing it wrong or is there something else I can do? I assume there is more there.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior

Material property Household hardware Gas Auto part Wood

Locking clip was put back on after the pic.

#100 ·
You sure the air filter is not the culprit? Does gate close completely? Have you applied pressure to the gate (engine off) to test its limits?

#107 ·
Very welcome! Knowledge base on this forum and their willingness to help is awesome. I know it’s helped me immensely.

I’m following and cheering you on from afar as you stab that motor in the troopy. I hope to add my attempt at putting one in a 60 series next year. Just need to wrap up the motor rebuild first, lol.

#108 ·
Well crud, looks like the Anchor motor mount on the PS has dropped 3/4”… :(. I have a replacement coming and I guess I’ll reach out to Parker Lord see if they have a similar replacement, hopefully I don’t have to redo my brackets.

Ruler Tape measure Automotive tire Office ruler Wood

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Bicycle part Bumper

Also, before I realized the failed motor mount I had started test driving it again and have been unable to get the motor up to operating temperature. After a few miles it starts coughing, sputtering and shuts off. After waiting it will start right up and keep going until it doesn’t again. Starts right up and idles well when cold.

Valve lash on the rocker arms is proper, double checked that. No excessive smoke when starting or running, no weird noises either.

Time for IP rebuild?

#110 · (Edited)
Thanks for sharing your experience.

Mechanical Fuel pump, I’ve cleaned the screen at the banjo bolt a couple of time. First time I removed debris, nothing the next time. Can’t imagine that would be heat/mileage dependent. I’ve had to pull over twice in the exact same spot 10 miles or so away from home, amongst other spots lol.

I guess I could add a pressure gauge.

Fuel filter, exact same thing was happening on the test drives before I parked it for Winter and I drained the fuel tank, replaced fuel filter and put fresh fuel in.

The little diesel experience I have is with the 6.2 diesel and there’s a trick where you pour some cool water on the IP if you have a run/no run condition that supposedly tells you that tolerances (plunger, head, etc) need adjusting. Aka IP rebuild.

#113 ·
Got my replacement motor mount, confirmed the mount on the PS has dropped 3/4”. New motor mount has visible flaws in the rubber. Better than what’s installed currently but for how long?

Tape measure Wood Curtain Gas Hardwood

I’ve exchanged a couple emails with folks from Parker Lord, really hoping for something else similar. Going OEM with solid rubber is always an option. We’ll see, said the blind man.

#128 ·
A little late here, but I found a supplier that sells the oe bread van mounts; Mill Supply, Inc. is how they show their business name, sorry don't have a link, they may or may not be better than the anchor mounts, they do have two mounting studs on the bottom though...

#118 ·
Aft of the fuel filter

Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Auto part Electrical wiring Fuel line

On my 4bt, I drilled and brazed a tube on the output banjo bolt of the fuel filter housing. That way, I know the pressure of the fuel going to the injector pump. Installation did NOT get written up in my build thread.