Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not much to go on but the pics
no outside markings on the van either to tell.
Anyone have a sharp eye that can tell if it is possibly a cummins?

looks like it may have Hydroboost doesn't it?
Hope it's not a 6.2

I an email enlarged pics if anyone has a hunch..

1979 P30 grumman van

·
Registered
33 Posts
That's a hard call to make from the pictures. It does have hydro-assist brakes, I don't know if they came with the gas models too. Do you have any more info. Seems like one would be able to make out the Cummins Baige paint on the valve covers, there might not even be an engine in there.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hmmm. Not certain, but I think you would be able see a Valve cover at that angle. They are pretty tall engines. Almost doesn't look like there is a motor in there. Let us know!

Andrew

·
Administrator
4,162 Posts
I think I see a round circular thingy in the middle below the master cylinder that resembles a 6.5 GM air cleaner but it's a bit vague.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My Dad works for Frito-Lay and he figures that since the truck is that old its probably gas v8 or inline six. He had one back in the 80's with a 350 in it.:smile:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
you guys are kidding right !! Its a cummins can't you see the injector lines running to the injectors !

I thought the same thing... then reality hit.. it was a pic of Alaskan Wheelers
setup.

For a second though I thought I had a cummins.

·
Registered
22 Posts
dont second guess yourself charlie!

Yeh, its a cummins 4bt

Belt routing, injector pump, injector lines, and why would a gasser have the huge air cleaner tube with that familiar cummins retrofit sticker on it?

Also the air cleaner tube runs down to the exuast side of the 4bt routing fresh cleaned air to the turbo. then there is the tell tail timing cover under the injector pump.

I am a newbie, but have spent too many hours looking under the hood of my ole frito lay truck!

·
Administrator
4,162 Posts
Post #1 & Post #4 looks like a GM 6.2 or 6.5 V8 non turbo Diesel. I have 2 that have that same stepped circular air cleaner. GM always used the more expensive hydroboost with all the V8 diesels including the ones in the Oldsmobiles and the truck chassis.
Post #2 is 100% a Cummins diesel.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ya know, I have no idea why I was thinking that alaskawheelers pick was part of the original question. It was right up there, I thought that it was a close up of the first two little pix!

Now, I see it, yup its a gasser, and I am sure that alaskawheeler doesnt need me to tell him that he has a cummins!! hehe:grinpimp:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts