Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to search for info on the AOD and there doesn't seem to be much, if any. Does anyone know if this tranny can be used behind the 4BT?

·
Registered
82 Posts
The E4OD would be a better choice and is what's been used behind Ford's diesels. You can also use the E4OD's wide ratio 1-2 in the C-6 for a stronger, wide-ratio C-6.

CD

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, :( . I was hoping to use a non-computerized transmission. Is there any way to make the AOD work?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey Emievel

1st off sorry to bring back kinda of an old thread.

I was kinda wondering the same thing. I know the the E4OD was behind alot of there diesels but lI also don't wont to run a computer trans. Know I know that the C6 would be a good choice for a non computer trans but I want an OD.

So does anybody have any suggestions.
Patrick

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
check with destroked.com maybe call them? they have adapters for all the ford autos, 4r100, 5r110, etc. also allison. My research shows that just about any electronic transmission is going to be more expensive.

Ford doesn't seem to have any good options with OD that are non electronic, at least to my knowledge. that leaves you with 700r4 from GM, 46rh/47rh from dodge...not sure of any others really.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought the adapter for the E4OD would work on the AOD as well. Maybe not? Obviously there isn't very much info on the AOD.

·
Registered
137 Posts
The trans in my '95 E350 was referred to as the E4AOD, so.....

Good tranny with the gasser in front of it.. held gears longer, less hunting than the Chevy's... But then, a friend of mine is on his third w/the PowerStroke, and his dad just had his replaced as well, so who knows what they did to them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have been thinking of this as well. I think it can be done. The AOD only has one bellhousing bolt pattern, small block ford. After a bit of researching it looks like the Ford adapter emulates the Ford block bolt pattern. As for doing a torque convertor, that would probably be a custom job from Hughes or something like that. Be advised that the AOD isn't a strong trans in stock form. There are a ton of parts for them, but add them all up and they get costly.

I am currently running a 4R70W with a gas engine. I am considering a 4BT (hence why I am looking all over this board). I have already built my trans and am considering a mild 4BT in front of it. With proper tuning I think I can get mine to live. My whole reason for keeping the 4R70W is packaging. I don't have the room to run a long transmission like the 4R100 (E4OD).

If this is a fresh sheet design, the GM 700R4 is a better transmission then the AOD and should bolt up easier with a turbo 400 adapter.

·
Registered
82 Posts
If this is a fresh sheet design, the GM 700R4 is a better transmission then the AOD and should bolt up easier with a turbo 400 adapter.
700R4 is nowhere near as good as the AOD. The AOD is strong enough that in modified form it is becoming a standard among drag racers - custom bellhousings allow it to be bolted up to a variety of engines.
The torque converter should bolt up to the stock flexplate, Ford generally uses the same bolt patter unlike GM that seems to change up everything for a slight reason.

CD

·
Registered
25 Posts
I would consider using an allison. The 4bt isn't a torque monster, and the trucks most people put them in aren't too heavy, but that tranny was used mainly behind the 302 and 300-6. If I had to guess, I'd say it would work but be marginal.

The e40d came behind the IDI diesel in a lot of fords, and have manual speedo outputs on them (some do). With the IDI, it has it's own computer and wiring. You could probably snag that off a 87-91 ford and be OK. But, since you don't want electric, that leaves the C6 or the allison.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks again. I'm really looking for an overdrive transmission.

I was always told the AOD was a finicky (sp?) tranny, but once it was adjusted right, it was a good tranny.

Creeping Death - Do you have any links on using AOD trannies in drag cars?

All this talk about trannies and drag is making me feel weird.

·
Registered
137 Posts
All this talk about trannies and drag is making me feel weird.
... that's because you're about to be outed, freak. :rasta: :happyfinger:

aaaaaannnyway, I'll second that the 700r4 is no match for the Furd tranny, stock, and I'm a Chevy guy. I have had both in my work vehicles, and the 700's just didn't take the torque/weight or anything.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Wow
Some good info here guys. The only reason why I was asking about the AOD is because I already have one. I dont need an auto. but would me nice. But seeing how this is going in my offroad truck it may be better to have a man.

Thanks
Patrick

·
Registered
256 Posts
I've built an AOD in the past, it can be made to be a good transmission IMHO.
I towed GCW of 11K to 13,500 in the past, it kept going.
Besides the 4R70W is an electronic version with essentially the same mechanical internals.

When I built mine, the planetary assembly was coming apart, so I bought a 4R70 from a 96/97 Thunderbird/Cougar. I used the 4R70 internals in the AOD, this got me a few benefits, The clutch drums could accept more clutch plates, with the use of a skinnier pressure plate, also the 4R70 uses a 50MM(2 in) wide OD band, versus the AOD is only 1.5" wide.

I'm not sure exactly what could be done to modify the shift points, mine had the heaviest governor valve for an AOD, heavier = earlier shifts in the RPM range. I never had a tach, but that 300 six probably revved out to over 4,000 RPM at times. I'd surmise that a custom modified governor valve could make it work within the constraints of a 4BT.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for the info there Yak. I have heard of people swapping the guts in those two trans and getting good results. I think if built correctly then that trans can more that handle that engine. I'm not looking for a hot rod those days in me are long gone. Just looking to make a nice trail truck for the weekend and good cruiser during the week.

Well let me put this question out there. Since most of fords small blocks had the same trans bolt battern, and you say that the ZF 5spd will bolt right up to the 4BT then the AOD SHOULD be able to bolt right to the AOD also. :confused: If I am wrong sorry.

Thanks
Patrick

·
Registered
256 Posts
Well let me put this question out there. Since most of fords small blocks had the same trans bolt battern, and you say that the ZF 5spd will bolt right up to the 4BT then the AOD SHOULD be able to bolt right to the AOD also. :confused: If I am wrong sorry.

Thanks
Patrick
Yes the AOD will bolt up, there is one catch, it uses a different flexplate than the C6 transmission. The AOD torque converter will physically bolt up to a C6 flexplate, but the depth is different.
You could probably cut a blockplate or two and use them to move the transmission back so the torque converter depth is correct.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey YaKK

By block plate what to you mean. Is that like a spacer to move it out to the right position. Sorry if this is simple and I should already know. I have been asking other people what it would take to do this swap and this is as far as I have gotten.

THanks
Patrick

·
Registered
256 Posts
Block plate, the steel plate between the engine and transmission.

When installing an auto, it should never need to be brought in with the bellhousing bolts, other wise the pump may not be lined up with the torque converter, or there is incorrect parts.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts