Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody, I´m from Finland north Europe, and I´m doing a conversion on a 95´ Chevy pick-up. I´m putting in a 99´ Cummins and dodge tranny. I would reguire some info on wireing. There is few wires that wont be used, for exsample battery temp sensor and fuel level sensor. What do you do on such wires?? I read from haynes repair manual that Bat temp sensor dont allow use of over drive if it is reading too low or disconnected? And then the alternator, I´m using chevy´s alt because of tach signal. But I read from wiring diagrams that Trans relay gets it´s ground? from dodges alt, can I just rewire it to ground? Or is it + and it get´s ground from PCM? In that case can I just put it behind ignition swich?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Hello everybody, I´m from Finland north Europe, and I´m doing a conversion on a 95´ Chevy pick-up. I´m putting in a 99´ Cummins and dodge tranny. I would reguire some info on wireing. There is few wires that wont be used, for exsample battery temp sensor and fuel level sensor. What do you do on such wires?? I read from haynes repair manual that Bat temp sensor dont allow use of over drive if it is reading too low or disconnected? And then the alternator, I´m using chevy´s alt because of tach signal. But I read from wiring diagrams that Trans relay gets it´s ground? from dodges alt, can I just rewire it to ground? Or is it + and it get´s ground from PCM? In that case can I just put it behind ignition swich?
do you have a FSM for the truck? i would recommend getting one if you can.

Why not use the bat temp sensor? It is just a sensor that sits under the battery...

Not sure on the grounding question. Couldn't you wire in a W terminal to run the stock alternator with your tach? maybe use one of these for calibration? http://www.dakotadigital.com/index....tegory_id=287/home_id=59/mode=prod/prd127.htm

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
do you have a FSM for the truck? i would recommend getting one if you can.

Why not use the bat temp sensor? It is just a sensor that sits under the battery...

Not sure on the grounding question. Couldn't you wire in a W terminal to run the stock alternator with your tach? maybe use one of these for calibration? http://www.dakotadigital.com/index....tegory_id=287/home_id=59/mode=prod/prd127.htm
What´s FMS, sorry new to Cummins.

Because I don´t have one. I can fool the computer by just putting a resistor in sted, just need to know how many ohms.

I figured out the ground thing thanks. Can I get tach signal from stock alt?

What does transmission relay control?? Doh.. trans, but what exactly?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
What´s FMS, sorry new to Cummins.

Because I don´t have one. I can fool the computer by just putting a resistor in sted, just need to know how many ohms.

I figured out the ground thing thanks. Can I get tach signal from stock alt?

What does transmission relay control?? Doh.. trans, but what exactly?
factory service manual

It looks like you are right though. i have a battery temp sensor in my durango, the FSM for mine describes it like it is a thermistor. I should be able to just measure across the sensor if you want the resistance from mine?

transmisison relay...not sure exactly what you are referring too, could it just be the powersupply for the transmission?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
ok, the durango FSM says that the transmission relay provides power to the TCC the torque convert clutch circuit. that's what i got from a little digging, i can dig further, but i'm not sure when i'll have time.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I dont have factory manual, but I have haynes repair manual and I know great site that has wiring diagrams.

If you could measure the bat temp sensor that would be awesome!

The reason i asked about trans relay is that it gets it power from altenator´s control circuit and if i put in chevys alt, since it has internal volt regulator, i did not know how to connect the trans relay. But i think its fine if i just connect it to some wire that is hot in run.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I dont have factory manual, but I have haynes repair manual and I know great site that has wiring diagrams.

If you could measure the bat temp sensor that would be awesome!

The reason i asked about trans relay is that it gets it power from altenator´s control circuit and if i put in chevys alt, since it has internal volt regulator, i did not know how to connect the trans relay. But i think its fine if i just connect it to some wire that is hot in run.
crap, i forgot to measure it. I won't have internet until sunday/monday. hopefully i will remember to measure it and get back to you.

The alternator Control circuit...hmm if it's just an ignition on circuit, it should work for you. What site are you using for wiring diagrams??

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
http://search.ebscohost.com/

User ID: greatfalls
password: publiclibrary

They are not my passwords, I got this from diesel place.com great site IMO.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts