Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
91 yj
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done Hydro boost brake setup powered by factory power steering pump?

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
That is the normal procedure. I mounted the Saginaw power steering pump on my Detroit engine, hooked up to power steering unit and hydroboost unit with two return lines. Pump, steer, and brake happened to come from same vehicle, not necessary.

Ed in CO.

·
Registered
91 yj
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well waht I'm getting at is isuzu has factory gear pump built in. Is it capable of running steering and brakes?

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I presume it would, both are intermittent uses, did the Isuzu have both power brakes and steer?

Ed in CO.

·
Registered
91 yj
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not exactly sure. I got the engine from a repower out of a 72gmc pickup. Adapter to Chevy bellhousing included. I've intercooled and turboed it and have great power and reliability. Now just finishing other things on the jeep to make me happy. Brakes that lock up 42"tires would be excellent

·
Registered
223 Posts
Yes, the Isuzu PS pump will power both a hydroboost and power steering.

In my case I had a Jeep steering box, and an Astrovan HB. The hard part is making adapters or hose ends with one end metric and the other SAE.
I didn't really know what I was doing so I copied how my Duramax and 98 Cummins work. Both are pretty much the same.

I think it's a 95-96 Astrovan HB that used and all the Full size Jeep guys use. I think it's a common donor part for a lot of HB conversions.

-Kevin

·
Registered
91 yj
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Kevin. I have a hose maker locally here. I am actually using an astro steering box on my jeep. Same as jeep only pitman arm points forward allowing you to stretch front axle 12". I run 42"tires and booster can hardly stop in high. In 4lo I can over power the brakes way to easily.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Astro van boxes are easy to find too. I have half a dozen sitting on a shelf just in case. I might be persuaded to part with one if you need it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not exactly sure. I got the engine from a repower out of a 72gmc pickup. Adapter to Chevy bellhousing included. I've intercooled and turboed it and have great power and reliability. Now just finishing other things on the jeep to make me happy. Brakes that lock up 42"tires would be excellent
Contact Vanco brakes. They have hydro boost and two sizes of big brakes for jeeps. I have their hb on my 97 4bt wrangler with 33 and when I change to 16” or 17” wheels I’ll install their big brake kit

·
Registered
91 yj
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can't believe the number of people with lil turbo diesels in wrangles. Very rare to see one on road around here except for me. In searching you see a few but not many.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts