Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i just purchased a rust free 82 chevy crew cab shortbox 1 ton and yanked out the gas guzzling 468 big block and starting my plans to drop in a motor i bought a while back from a 2001 Case IH self propelled sprayer that was hit by a train... Motor is fine but i don't know anything about it, and i'm pretty new to diesel's especially the cummins. I want to know what's different about this motor compared to a pickup's 5.9 cummins, and what pump i'm working with... Some of the info i got from the side of the timing cover is: Serial # 46070637 185hp Family:1CEXL0359ABA The numbers from the side of the pump read: PE56P120A120R53358 0 402 066 707 08522 10075 And the numbers from the rear of the pump read: 908 BOSCH RSV475... 1100P2A618 393 5783 0206.

I've had a few guys tell me i can't use this governor for everyday driving but that the cummins pulling guys are after these governors for their trucks because they work great for pullin. And other guys tell me not to trade it for a regular governor because it will work fine for everyday driving and great when i pull on the weekends.. I'm not sure what to do, i don't even know for sure if this even is a regular P7100 pump like the pickups have.. if it is a p7100..

If anyone can elaborate I'd much appreciate it!
And by the way i'm new on here so hello to everyone!

·
Vendor
2,655 Posts
The difference between your engine and a pickup 5.9 is the CPL. CPL will tell differences between your motor and what you want it to be.

·
Vendor
2,655 Posts
P pumped but probably not epa hiway pump. Bosch could fix i think.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All the EPA tag says is that it meats 2001 EPA and California tier 1 regulations for non highway use. Anyway I found a guy that's going to trade me my pump for his p pump which has the automotive governor versus my pump which has the AG governor that i can't use for highway use but will work great for truck pulling.

Also the motor has a number 54 block which i'm guessing is newer and better than the 53 which has the kdp problem.

·
Administrator
4,162 Posts
To me 185 [email protected]/580 [email protected] would be a very fuel economical engine in a light 3/4 ton truck. If it was me I think I'd try it before I traded it. Ag equipment such as tractors, combines have variable speed governors and the only reason they act as they do is because the hand operated throttle lever is in a maintained fixed position during operation. There are a lot of pieces of equipment out there, such as wood chippers, that have had the industrial engines replaced with automotive type engines. I have assisted on a couple of those conversions. The only down side is going to an AG engine in a highway vehicle is if there is a mandated yearly EPA inspection required in your state.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts