Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about taking mine out of my ranger and selling the rolling chassis and putting my engine in a landrover.

I'm not sure about hood height and all that but I want it to look as stock as possible.

Any insight?

·
Registered
46 Posts
What model Land rover? I have a 1998 discovery that I' am planing on putting one in. In a Discovery you will need a 3 inch or more lift and oil pan mods for engine fit. If you go auto for the trans the transfer case might need to be moved back to fit a TH400 or 480LE with the adapter from marks 4Wd. I have not looked into manual trans. I have looked at the 3.3 4bt as good swap also it is lighter and not as tall as the 3.9. Dose any one know how long the industrial adapter is in the drawings? If it is 4 to 5 inches this would solve the problem with moving the transfer case. The ZF auto is only 24inches long the TH400 is 29 and the 480LE is 35 with adapter.

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you can fit in a Ranger I do not see why It will not fit in a Discovery. My next step is getting the Frito truck with a 4BT in it. If I run into any road blocks I will post them up.

·
Registered
696 Posts
My thing is that I really don't want to be putting a lift on the truck if possible.
I will be surprised if you will get it to fit without any lift. I would think 3-4" of lift my 110 has 2" already and I will have to lift another 2" this is for a 6Bt though. I have spoke to a local Cummins tec who has seen a 6BT in a Disco so a 4BT will be a breeze. He didn't have any more info on it though.

Gaza

·
Super Moderator
8,976 Posts
My thing is that I really don't want to be putting a lift on the truck if possible.
You'll need about 2" of lift to keep the axle from hitting the block.
Well actually lift is optional, but you need to lose two inces of front suspension compression.
I've got the Isuzu 4BD1T in a RRC, same chassis and axles as your disco.

6BT in a disco, that must have taken some serious work. Pictures would be great.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm thinking about taking mine out of my ranger and selling the rolling chassis and putting my engine in a landrover.

I'm not sure about hood height and all that but I want it to look as stock as possible.

Any insight?
Any reason you want to go this route? Just curious...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Aren't the Isuzu NPR motors a little smoother and quieter?

That coupled with the fact that they use readily available GM trannys make them a perfect candidate for the landrover.

I personally don't mind the grumble of of the Cummins since I have been operating heavy equipment for years and I have 6000 stolen songs on my iPod;)

·
Super Moderator
8,976 Posts
That coupled with the fact that they use readily available GM trannys make them a perfect candidate for the landrover.
Actually that's an urban legend. Head over to the 4BD1T forum here, that's the npr motor you're talking about.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, great forum you got here.

I actually found this forum researching a diesel swap into a SWB Range Rover classic. It looks like it's going to be a fun project.

Shawn

·
Super Moderator
8,976 Posts
Hey guys, great forum you got here.

I actually found this forum researching a diesel swap into a SWB Range Rover classic. It looks like it's going to be a fun project.

Shawn
Hi Shawn.

I have a RRC with the 4BD1T installed (well it has been installed, currently out for cleanup). It's not a difficult swap if you have a RHD rangie, but LHD means your steering box is making things a bit more difficult.

You need to consider your gearbox options carefully for the 4BD1T. The torque pulses are more than most gearboxes can handle.
There are plenty of smaller Isuzu options to consider as well, the 4JB1T will fit a lot easier but won't return quite the torque or economy of the 4BD1T.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts