Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone running a fan straight off the 4bt does it need it i dont think so but people are telling me differant.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I run an electric fan and no, it doesn't need it, SO FAR! But living in the Bay Area it's hard to tell what you'll run into. If you get into a rushour gridlock on a hill, on a hot day you could need a fan.

Mine comes on automatically from a temp sender at lower water inlet from block. In addition I have a lighted master over ride switch in case I want to engage manually. Mine never needs the fan, so far, but I switched it on twice.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I run an electric fan and no, it doesn't need it, SO FAR! But living in the Bay Area it's hard to tell what you'll run into. If you get into a rushour gridlock on a hill, on a hot day you could need a fan.

Mine comes on automatically from a temp sender at lower water inlet from block. In addition I have a lighted master over ride switch in case I want to engage manually. Mine never needs the fan, so far, but I switched it on twice.
ditto

·
Registered
808 Posts
Same here, electric fan with manual over ride if needed. I do have a pindicator lamp on the dash that is fed by the load side of the fan relay so I know if the fan is running. On my trip to Labrador with the Carryall/4BTA, the fan never came on. Granted, I do live up north where it does not get as hot. I am running the same fan setup on my M37.

Paul

·
Registered
329 Posts
I run a taurus fan on a manual switch........ only need it when sitting in traffic for hours

·
Administrator
4,164 Posts
I have a gut feeling about that temp switch. There is also an inline fuse between the switch and the fan. I think this combination is subject to failures which may be the primary cause of head gasket failures in the P30 vans. There is no way to test the switch when it is installed other than monitoring the water temperature by using a gauge. I would highly recommend using Jimmie's method along with the temperature gauge.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I have a gut feeling about that temp switch. There is also an inline fuse between the switch and the fan. I think this combination is subject to failures which may be the primary cause of head gasket failures in the P30 vans. There is no way to test the switch when it is installed other than monitoring the water temperature by using a gauge. I would highly recommend using Jimmie's method along with the temperature gauge.
Thanks, Bob, but I have to give credit where credit is overdue. I ain't no geeneous and it was Paul in NY that mother-henned me through my swap: it was his idea to install the manual over-ride with lighted indicator! My donor truck already had that setup in it, but it was obviously added by a later owner and not a stock item.

I agree with you that the stock setup with fan sensor in water inlet is failure prone!

Another aspect of this question hinges on what kind of radiator you're using. In some swaps radiator space is at a premium. I was able to use a stock '60's Dodge truck 3-core desert type radiator. I'd need to light the engine on fire to ever see anything above 185*, and I live in a very mountainous area of high desert with long steep grades. Summer temps of 100* are common, and you have to drive it hard to make these hills: no problems!

·
Registered
329 Posts
I enjoy blowing squirrels off of trees as I pass by!

Paul...... never heard of using like a reverse hovercraft..... Ill give it a try!

No kidding....... will bring my water temp down to 120 if I leave it on!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Im running the late 90's mustang fan, think its the same. Lots of air, easy to adapt, easy to remove. I moved my switch to the head just before the thermostat. Hottest water in the engine to trigger the fan so maybe I wont have head gasket problems. Inlet for engine has the coolest water.
Carl

·
Premium Member
1989 Jeep Wagoneer, 360v8, 727, stock for now,
2,656 Posts
I run a Dodge fan, fan clutch with shroud, AC and it needs it the summer time. The Autometer temp guage will stay just below 180 and in temps of 110+ AC the temp reads just above 180. In the winter the fan clutch never comes on. IF your going to tow or drive where it's really hot I'd suggest a mech fan and fan clutch.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I'm about to wire up a '91 Taurus SHO fan. I was told that it is a two-speed fan. Does anyone on the forum have a schematic or know how it gets two speeds? The fan only has one brown wire and one black wire.

·
Administrator
4,164 Posts
Just for reference the P30's without any sort of intercooler had no fans that I have seen, only the intercooled versions had them.
Well I have dismantled one that had neither a JWAC or an air to air cooler and it came with an electric fan. It was an early retrofit that came with the Chevy SM-465 four speed manual transmission. I still have that fan somewhere but the engine is long gone after being transplanted onto a wood chipper. The van was an older 79 model Grumman surplussed by Frito-lay in 2000.

·
Registered
335 Posts
The motor an tranny that I got off of Ebay came with a fan....but I have know idea what it was in....LOL After reading about all of you guys not running fans, im thinking about taking mine off, and puting it on the intercooler insead :idea: It only has to keep me cool a 1/4 mile at a time...LOL later guys

·
Registered
278 Posts
I'm about to wire up a '91 Taurus SHO fan. I was told that it is a two-speed fan. Does anyone on the forum have a schematic or know how it gets two speeds? The fan only has one brown wire and one black wire.
I have researched a little and found out that my fan is a single-speed fan. Taurus fans can be two-wire (single-speed) or three-wire (two-speed). I didn't know that. They are both 16 inch fans and have a capacity around 2000 cfm. I won't have a problem wiring it as a single-speed.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I have researched a little and found out that my fan is a single-speed fan. Taurus fans can be two-wire (single-speed) or three-wire (two-speed). I didn't know that. They are both 16 inch fans and have a capacity around 2000 cfm. I won't have a problem wiring it as a single-speed.
Here is a link to a Jeep site installing a Taurus 2 speed fan. It may be of help to you.

http://www.jeephorizons.com/tech/fan/

Paul

·
Registered
278 Posts
Thank you. That looks like my fan, except I have two wires. I'll have to run mine a while and see if I need the two-speed one. My vehicle is driveable, but not registered and inspected yet. Maybe this week?...

·
Registered
169 Posts
I plan on using a fan from a 04 mustang cobra, not sure of the CFM but if it can keep that health basturd cool I shouldn't have a problem.

Thanks for all the info guys, it's helped me go in the right direction instead of having to redo it in the future!!!

:beer: :beer: :beer: <------many of these for you all!!bounce

1 - 20 of 20 Posts