Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a 1992 GMC Vandura G300 5.7/4L80 box van - ex Penske unit. Needs an engine pretty soon anyway and I think I'd rather do a 4bt swap than buy one of the new diesel offerings - that way I stay out of debt.

Will the 4bt fit?

Has anyone done one?

Thanks...

·
Registered
425 Posts
If you get a 4bt with the GM adapter it will bolt right onto the 4L80. Engine placement would pretty much already be decided and you'd just have to fab motor mounts and plumb it. You'll have to decide how you want to control the tranny, i.e., buy an electronic controller or convert to manual control, and you'd be better off with a diesel torque converter.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So a 4bt WILL fit into the vans engine compartment??? Clearance - that's my biggest concern. What about the subframe, the dash area or the doghouse? Has anyone here done a Vandura conversion who can comment on these clearances?

Also, will the stock 4L80 stand up to the torque?

·
Registered
425 Posts
A stock 4L80 will hold up to the power. It will support 400+ft.tq. and the factory number is conservative. Don't know about your clearance question. Width would probably be fine but height and oil pan clearance is probably your concern. Might have to do some measuring if no one can give you an answer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks, Boots. I skimmed your build thread over yonder and you sure have my respect! I plan to read it front to back when I have time. I'm holding out hope that someone who's done this swap will have some words of wisdom...

How's your 4L80 holding up?

Regards,

FPG

·
Registered
425 Posts
Thanks. I bought a junkyard tranny and got a junkyard tranny. I'm in the process of rebuilding it right now and hope to be done with it by the end of the weekend and would like to be driving around by the end of the month. That's the plan anyways.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's too bad. Typical for these projects, though! Are you doing a stock rebuild or beefing it up? (I had idly considered buying an extra one and rebuilding it in advance for this swap, as I'll need to have the truck back on the road quickly. Perhaps I'll do that!!!)

Did you get to drive it at all before the rebuild? If so, how did that manual shift setup work?

Thanks!

·
Registered
425 Posts
I'm putting some high energy fictions plates in it but should be close to stock. I did drive it a couple of times but didn't have the line pressure regulated and (now having been inside of it) had some burnt clutch packs so my impression of it wasn't an accurate one. I am trying to figure out the vacuum modulation right now so no answer there but I got confirmation from the trango guys (it is a trango kit) that the modulator is necessary. I know turbos10 has his worked out and is really liking it. His impressions are in his build thread. I'm hoping to get some impressions soon though, maybe a week or two.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts