Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of guages are common in the breadvans with the 4bt ?

·
Registered
808 Posts
2 of my 4BTA's from P-30 Vans came with a Delco Alternator that had tach output. Must have been hooked to a tach when in P-30 as there was wire from the post that was cut off. I never saw the P-30's as I bought the engiens already removed.

The Tach output is driving my new VDO Vision Series Tach without problems on my M37.

Paul

·
Administrator
4,180 Posts
Paul,
Are you referring to one that has three terminals on the voltage regulator or one that has the case drilled with a probe that senses the stator coils?

BobS

·
Registered
808 Posts
Paul,
Are you referring to one that has three terminals on the voltage regulator or one that has the case drilled with a probe that senses the stator coils?

BobS
Bob;
The two Delco's have a insulated stud coming thru the back of the Alternator for Tach. There is a single Letter by the stud ( I forget what the letter is. I have not had one of these open, I dont know where the stud hooks on the inside of the alternator. My VDO Vision Series Tach said it could be driven by Alternator output. It works perfect.

Paul

·
Administrator
4,180 Posts
Hey Paul,
How about posting a couple of pictures of the inside and outside of the case whenever you open them up. I am familiar with the "R" terminal on the voltage regulator but not what you are describing. I would like to see if the probe is a coil or if it goes to an internal connection. Thanks.
Bob

·
Registered
808 Posts
Hey Paul,
How about posting a couple of pictures of the inside and outside of the case whenever you open them up. I am familiar with the "R" terminal on the voltage regulator but not what you are describing. I would like to see if the probe is a coil or if it goes to an internal connection. Thanks.
Bob
Bob, both alternators are rebuilt and installed, one on my Carryall and one on my M37. My other 4B's with alternators do not have the Tach terminal. The 'R' was the letter by the stud coming out the back of the alternator. Once you mentioned R, That was the leter, does the R explain where its hooked internally ? Unless i have a Alternator go bad, I hope to never open these ha ha ha

Paul

1 - 6 of 6 Posts