Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

321 - 337 of 337 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts
Al: good to hear you are getting time in an Aircraft that You can make a good living flying when you get out. My Bro is Flying for Etihad out of Abu Dhabi on 777's now as a First Officer Check Pilot, he's always looking for new "American" talent. He prefers flying with people who speak English as their first language, and no radical religious affiliations.

Hook you up?

Randy

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
Been hoping you had gotten back to the truck project, but with the military and a set of twins you're probably only busy 26 hrs a day.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #326
Sorry everyone! I'm still here, mainly trolling the Detroit section. I've received a few PMs inquiring the status of my truck. Unfortunately, work on the truck has come to a halt. It's in storage now. I've just been busy with life. I really don't know how you guys do it, balancing kids, job(s), etc. After returning from Afghanistan, I seperated from the active duty and was busy looking for a job. I had planned to attend medical school, but it was just too easy to walk on with a major air carrier and get a job and make pretty much the same as a doctor would. So, I took a job flying for FedEx and the family and I moved to Memphis, TN. Since seperating from active duty, I was also offered a position in the Reserves with my current squadron, Training Squadron Three at NAS Whiting Field. The only catch is that I had to transfer over to the Navy. So, unfortunately, with the way it's looking now, the project is on indefinite hold.

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
I'd say keep the commercial job. You're right. Make very good money and no malpractice suits. My first cousin was in the navy as a fighter pilot on a carrier. When his second tour ended he was a commander. He remained in the reserves and went to dental school. Opened a practice in Pensacola FL and retired about a year ago. Still works about 1 day a week but doesn't need to. He resigned his commission during Desert Storm. You probably have more flying hours than most of the commercial pilots anyway. We have a guy here local that when he retired from the commercial field had 40,000 hrs under his belt. He flew everything from biplanes to jets. We always tease him about what it was like to fly with the Wright Brothers.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #328
My first cousin was in the navy as a fighter pilot on a carrier. When his second tour ended he was a commander. He remained in the reserves and went to dental school. Opened a practice in Pensacola FL and retired about a year ago.
What's his name? That's where I was/will be stationed. I went on base for dental, but my family went out on the town (Advanced Dental Concepts, I think it was.)

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
His name is Dr Paul O Austin Jr. He has sold his practice so I don't know what name it's under now. He was an orthodontist. His navy buddies sent all the teeth straightening work to him and he sent the general dental work to them. Those boys might need two set of braces. Might have to put in some overtime to pay for those. LOL. You ex military guys have to take care of each other. Haven't seen Paul in about 20 yrs. I've only been to Florida twice in my life and he wasn't living there then. When he got out of the navy, Pensacola became home and he's been there ever since. I'd ask him once if he ever flew any after he got out of the navy. He said he couldn't afford a good plane at that time so he didn't fly. He lets others do the driving now.

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts
Al: Keep the Fed Ex job and progress up the ladder. Right now the medical business is so FU! with Obamacare that trying to make a living there is a crap shoot. Most Doctors who I know are only accepting Cash Patients as the Insurance companies will only pay a small fraction of what they are charged by the Doc's office.

I have Medicare now and everything has to be approved before they will even let you sit down. Also the problem is not the Doctors,,, it's their Office Staffs! Out here they are all Mexicans and they don't give one perfect ship about white people. I'm not being Racist here just stating facts. I had one deny me care last year and ended up in the E Room an hour later. I would have slapped her silly if I could have found her.

My youngest Bro is Captain Check Pilot for Etihad from Abu Dhabi He visits once in awhile and makes big money. I know you wanted to be a Doctor, but that trade is over until its captors are removed and the whole business is restructured .

Fed Ex is a good company to work for and you'll have a job for along time. You also won't have to work 40 hours a week like most do.

My .02

As far as the Reserves is concerned I believe I'd pass on that as they will probably end up being deployed again after the first of the year. They have axed so many active duty people that they will have no choice but to use Reserves to fill the gaps. I doubt you'd be all that enthused about going back to AFG?

Randy

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
Well said Randy;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have to say this is an awesome build and my ultimate dream. Except my she'll would have to be a 79 crew cab f350 dually! Can't wait to see it finished and that you for your service Al!

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts
Al: are you still alive? Please respond ! been 3 years since we've heard from you. My Jeep is now a running driving car. Is the truck project still happening? We all want to know.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Al: are you still alive? Please respond ! been 3 years since we've heard from you. My Jeep is now a running driving car. Is the truck project still happening? We all want to know.
Haven't seen either Grigg or Aramp1 for years now, would love to see the finish to this awesome build.:)

321 - 337 of 337 Posts