Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Howdy,
while trying to come up with as transmission for the 4BT, a very informative fellow over at Advance Adapters asked me how thick the Dodge engine adapter plate is behind my engine (1 1/8"), he said that is for the earlier Getrag trans, and I need the thicker (2"?) one to use the NV4500, or keep the one I have and use a custom bellhousing he sells to attain proper length.

Trying to get this right has been quite stressful, especially since I am buying all new. I have concluded that the all Dodge setup is the way to go, for simplicity and because I already have a Dodge flywheel, and 97-04 Dodge bellhousing (which ends up may not work). The only possibly bottleneck will be mounting a large-diameter clutch master to the firewall to supply the large Dodge master with enough fluid (which I do not think will be a problem, I can fab something up).

Any comments would be great, thanks, John

·
Administrator
4,157 Posts
There are two different thicknesses of the engine to bell housing adapter. 94 and up use the thicker one.

First question is which starter do you have because there are two choices. Pre '94 and post '94. You need the same year range as the engine to bell housing adapter for the starter.

Second question is do you have room under the Dodge starter location for the slave cylinder or would it be better on the transmission side of the bell housing?

Which NV4500 transmission do you have or plan to use?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are two different thicknesses of the engine to bell housing adapter. 94 and up use the thicker one.

First question is which starter do you have because there are two choices. Pre '94 and post '94. You need the same year range as the engine to bell housing adapter for the starter.

Second question is do you have room under the Dodge starter location for the slave cylinder or would it be better on the transmission side of the bell housing?

Thanks for the reply Bob.
Which NV4500 transmission do you have or plan to use?
I plan to buy a new NV4500 from Advance Adapters. It is a Dodge unit with 1 1/4" input shaft and 29 spline output.

I believe the special bellhousing available from AA has the master in a sutiable location, and will work with my thinner adapter plate. I suppose another option would be get the thicker adapter plate.

·
Administrator
4,157 Posts
If you end up using the AA bell housing you will need to tell them to set the transmission up for the Getrag replacement. This involves the shortening of the front bearing retainer. I have that set up in my 91 Dodge and it has worked out quite well. This will also put the slave cylinder on the engine side of the bell housing.

·
Administrator
4,157 Posts
So in order to use a NV4500, you need a '94 or newer plate?
Yes if you intend on using the factory NV4500 Dodge Cummins bell housing. The early bolt pattern is the same but you must use the 94 or newer adapter plate because the early thin version will shift the transmission too far forward toward the engine.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you end up using the AA bell housing you will need to tell them to set the transmission up for the Getrag replacement. This involves the shortening of the front bearing retainer. I have that set up in my 91 Dodge and it has worked out quite well. This will also put the slave cylinder on the engine side of the bell housing.
If I use a 1997 Dodge engine adapter, and a 1997 Dodge bellhousing the newer length input, and bearing retainer should work, correct?

·
Administrator
4,157 Posts
Correct. The transmission you would want would then be a "replacement version" for a 1997 Dodge Cummins 4WD application. The bearing retainer would not need to be modified because you are then duplicating the original 1997 set up.

The only area I am not 100% certain on is if the pre 94 flywheel is compatible. I think the only difference is in the bolt size for mounting the clutch assembly to the flywheel. You might want to confirm this before you purchase everything else.

NOTE: The NV4500 was first used behind the Dodge Cummins in 1994. 1993 and earlier Dodge Cummins used a Getrag Model G360 which was a German designed transmission. The transmission to bell housing bolt patterns are not compatable between the two models.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Bob,
I was searching for info, and found this on a sticky post. Just so I understand correctly: If I have a 96 dodge 6BT NV4500, adapter plate, flywheel, clutch, starter and MC, this will bolt to a 4BT?

·
Vendor
2,599 Posts
4s and 6s have the same bolt pattern on the block

1 - 13 of 13 Posts