Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in California but have family in Arizona, I know the swap I want to do would not be legal in California, but maybe I could make it legal in AZ then switch it to CA?

I'm looking at a 1989 toyota fj62 land cruiser with a bad engine.
I want to swap in a 4bt and nv4500. I already have a 1st gen cummins w250 and a mercedes 300sd, more diesels, running b100 the better.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Perhaps in Califorina they have what they offer here in Colorado. Its called a title correction vin inspection. If your title and registration states what type of fuel your vehicle has, you should go in, play dumb, say that the title is wrong, have them fix it, then all you will be subject to, is diesel emmision testing.

Don't over complicate it. Most people put their foot in their mouth with public officials and say stuff like "conversion" which makes them think its an unsafe home-made illegal contraption. Remember, these people, at least the majority of them, are not gear heads and they really don't care about your situation. They just want a simple day at work with minimum brain effort. :idea:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Parts of Arizona have emissions testing and others don't. Maricopa and Pima counties do for sure, other don't for sure, but check into it.

When an out of state vehicle is registered in Az there is an inspection at the Motor Vehicle Department where they look at the VIN (both the windshield tag and the title) but I'm fairly sure they aren't doing much of an inspection otherwise.

In my experience, when you arrive at an emissions testing station in Arizona, the first thing they do is verify the VIN which tells them everything regarding what the factory produced. You next pay the testing fee and the test commences, fuel cap/fuel system as well as a visual inspection for my vehicles, then you move to the rollers for both a moving and stationary Nitrides of Oxygen and Carbon Monoxide tests (if memory serves - I'm in Iraq at the moment). My point is (if registering in a county that requires emissions testing) I'm not sure how you're going to be able to bamboozle the Motor Vehicle Department when the emissions testing station is tied into a database spelling out what corresponds to the VIN.

I did a search on the Az Revised Statutes to see if there was legislation regarding engine swaps on registered vehicles and found nothing. So that's not to say that there isn't something regarding the subject - just that I didn't find anything.

I wonder about all of the bread trucks that initially were gasoline powered vehicles being registered as diesels once Cummins sold them on the repower.

·
Premium Member
1989 Jeep Wagoneer, 360v8, 727, stock for now,
2,667 Posts
It is legal in Calif. to swap a Diesel into a gasser. I have not found any provisions at the AZ. DMV to swap a Diesel engine into a gasser. But, if you going to an non emission county, no problem, untill they get emission testing. In AZ. Even if you were to get the vehicle licenced in Calif as a Diesel, Az. will not recognize the swap because the vin# will come back saying it's gasser.

·
Registered
292 Posts
CA is easier than most states when it comes to diesel conversions

And yes it is legal in CA

·
Registered
3 Posts
I called the Motor Vehicles Division (a Tucson branch) and asked the question about what's required to swap a diesel engine into a previously gasoline powered vehicle. The lady explained to me that what is needed is to bring the reciept for the diesel engine and the title/registration (I assume the vehicle also) to them and they will make a new title/registration. And to think I was going to buy a '66 or earlier vehicle once I get my funding and situation together...

Hope this info helps those in the Az areas. As far as California, I'd call the Motor Vehicle Division and ask them.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
G Dalton: THANKS FOR YOUR DEDICATION TO OUR COUNTRY!

California can get tricky. If you're going to do it you want to have emissions testing caught up on that vehicle, or get an emissions waver that it would cost more than $500 to make it smog legal. If you can get that waiver it's a done deal.

When you install a different engine you are supposed to fill out paperwork certifying the engine change. The resulting vehicle is then required to meet both the pollution standards of the stock vehicle, and the standards of the installed engine.

In the case of diesel it's physically impossible to meet the original smog standards, or pollutant levels, but the diesel can easily meet its own EPA standards. It would cost far beyond $500 [maybe it's $750 now] to make it pass those standards, so it should be entitled to a waiver.

In all cases of emissions or licensing in California, STAY OUT OF THE LA AIR BASIN! Take your truck to another county, up north in the foothills in a small town. Entirely different standards are used. LA area is currently the hardest in the world to pass.

·
Registered
145 Posts
It is legal in Calif. to swap a Diesel into a gasser. I have not found any provisions at the AZ. DMV to swap a Diesel engine into a gasser. But, if you going to an non emission county, no problem, untill they get emission testing. In AZ. Even if you were to get the vehicle licenced in Calif as a Diesel, Az. will not recognize the swap because the vin# will come back saying it's gasser.
Thats why you get a title correction vin inspection, so that your vehicle is now recognized in their computer system as a diesel....before you go to the emmisions testing station.

g_dawlton I called the Motor Vehicles Division (a Tucson branch) and asked the question about what's required to swap a diesel engine into a previously gasoline powered vehicle. The lady explained to me that what is needed is to bring the reciept for the diesel engine and the title/registration (I assume the vehicle also) to them and they will make a new title/registration. And to think I was going to buy a '66 or earlier vehicle once I get my funding and situation together...

Hope this info helps those in the Az areas. As far as California, I'd call the Motor Vehicle Division and ask them.
Yes, you take your title and registration in and they make a new one that shows in their system that you are diesel powered. Just like I said before. :eek:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts