Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, this basically is a copy/paste of my ad on M715zone, but I figured I'd post it here too because of the number of people on here and there, and I know there are more 715 fans out there that might want one that aren't a member there.

link to my build thread is in my signature, and here in case that doesn't work for some reason: http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showth...light=m715+353 (pardon some of my idiocy, I was still learning a lot of this crap then! and, well, I am a Youngster!)

Otherwise, here ya go:

This pains me so to do this, but I’m moving soon and have no use or means in keeping my truck, and will likely not in the near future, nor have the time it deserves; so I’m letting it go to a good home. I apologize in advance for this being long-winded, but there a lot of details to cover for the good, bad, ugly, and general set-up of this truck.

The Rundown:

She’s a 68 M715 that basically became a 724, because the guys who had it before me converted to a work truck w/ civilian cab & fenders w/ a 4" body lift (good clearance for tall diesel motors!) and a ginormous work/flatbed. They apparently did Semi & other heavy truck recovery stuff with it. It shows with how much they over-built some things on it. The truck is running a warmed up 292 chevy I6 with a Offenhauser intake, edelbrock 500 cdm 4-barrel w/ electric choke, 3-to-1 headers, HEI ignition, electric fuel pump, and I feel i might have forgot a few other small things. Its torquey, trust me! I had the front tires off the ground once, no BS! Its backed by a SM465 four speed & a fairly new HD clutch (replaced @ rebuild), forgot what brand. It has a driveline e-brake like an old dump truck, and they sadly left the t-case out and made it a 2wd. They did add a detroit locker to the stock D70 w/ stock 5.87’s. The front 60 is sealed up & “carrierless” as they told me. I never bothered to look inside, as I was just going to swap it as soon as I got another to replace it.

Tire & wheel wise it has custom 16 in 6-hole stealies from Stockton Wheel in Stockton, CA (if you don’t know anything about them, they do pretty amazing a crazy stuff) with the 6-lug
Budd pattern these trucks come with, and 39” michelin XLs that are getting a bit dry rotted. Not too bad, as you could probably run them for a while because those things are so darn tough, but I just consider them rollers at this point just to be safe. It has an onboard compressor & 3 tanks, one in the bed, one as a saddle on the passenger side, and the other hung under the bed on the driver side. Don’t remember how many gallons, but I think its around 50-70. I never ran power back to the compressor to see if it still worked and if the lines were ok, and I’ve had it about 2.5 years. But it looks ok.

The flatbed leaves jaws on the floor whenever anyone 1st sets eyes on the truck. Its framed in 3”x5/8” c-channel, the floor is 1/4 diamond plate, the headache rack is 1/4 plain steel, and the non-detatchable sides are probably 10 ga. steel. Has some military-ish looking steel hoops along the side for strapping things down as well. Headache rack has a handful of mounts for lights, antennas, or whatever; and currently has 4 really, REALLY bright spot lights mounted (they overpower the trucks high beams by about twice) that worked well when I still used the truck. There is an old-school strobe mount as well. The in-bed air tank has a mount welded to the floor & the headache rack, right where you’d logically put a tool box or welder. Pretty big waste of space if you ask me, one of the things I was going to change. The rear has two integral storage/tool boxes w/ mesh floors. They strapped a 35 gal fuel tank under the front, and a 45 in the rear, for +/- 80 gal. of fuel. I’ve usually only been able to put about 75 in it total. going from central Arizona to West Texas (about 700ish miles) I only filled up once. There is no transfer pump between tanks, just the electric pump for the motor & manual selector valve in the floor of the cab.

Hitch wise, it has a standard receiver hitch, but also has a industrial/military style pintle hook as well. The trailer that comes with the truck has the ring that mounts in one of these, though it is height adjustable/detachable and you could put a standard ball set up on if you wished. I wouldn’t, it weighs like 8 zillion pounds just like the truck! Bit about the trailer too, its basically a civilian copy of a M105A2 trailer. Its roughly the same length, single axle w/ some outrageous spring packs, chevy 6-lug axles and wheels, and is built off a cannibalized truck frame of some sort. The general construction is very similar to the flatbed: all 1/4 plate steel for the floor, sides, and headache rack, tongue is 8” or 10” 3/4” c-channel (I’ll get an exact measurement next time I see it), has hooks on the side for strapping down loads, and the massive headache rack has a mount on the front for a generator/welder/compressor or whatever you choose. Its also running 39” Michelins and is the same relative height as the truck & bed of the truck.

Interior needs help, but is workable. Has a bucket out of a wagoneer on the passenger side, and the driver one I have no idea. Minivan maybe? Floors are not great but workable. They at least don’t have any rust. It has a mix of carpet and the heavy duty rubber mat you’d find on barn & shop floors and the like. It has extra gauges in the dash for most important things (temp, oil press, 2 fuel gauges, air press, volts, amps, might have left one out, and they blanked out the lenses in the gauges in the dash for some reason.

I won’t lie, the truck needs work, thats one of the reasons why I got it. Its a project that needs a little helping along. Could be be an outstanding old-school work truck for someone willing to give it the time & work. I thought I had the time and means to do it just because of the tools, parts, and the shop that was at my disposal, but as said I’m moving soon, and have no reason to bring it with me, or the time and money to store it or move it.

One of the big issues is the rear axle is shot. I have a 14-bolt out of a late model chevy w/ disk brakes, 4.10’s, and limited slip I was going to throw under it, but never got to doing. So unless you bring some 8-lug wheels/tires and spend a day or two making that work you will have to have it trailered out.

Other’n the 14-bolt I’ve got a few other parts for it. I have an entire front end for it from another wide-track cherokee, basically everything but another cab, doors included. Also have some narrow-track fenders I was going to cut and make M715 fenders out of, but never got around to it. All are minimal rust Arizona Treasures like the truck. The front panel/core support is a little ragged, but its still useable and has little rust as mentioned. As far as Driveline, it has a plane jane SM465 as mentioned, but I also have another one with a gear vendors on the back I’m still not 100% on selling because I may have a home for it in another POS of mine, but might sell it to the right guy. I was going to divorce a Klune/205 combo off the back of it so I still had all 8 gears in 4hi & 4lo as well as 2wd. If that sounds like a fun set-up to you, I might let you have it. Maybe my Klune/205 combo as well (some assembly required, still in boxes). Also have a rebuilt 23-spl dodge 203 I almost used for a doubler and NP200 that probably needs a rebuild since it sat in a junk yard not under a truck for at least a year that I know of, but it shifts and turns over fine in hi, low, and 2wd. I do have a box full of I believe NOS surplus shoes and a couple spare drums for the brakes as well, I know those are worth something to those using stock brakes still. I feel like there’s more, so I’ll poke around when I’m at the shop again.

Im asking $5k OBO for the whole lot. I don’t want to part it, don’t have the time to part it, and need it gone pretty fast, so I figured I’ll make someone a deal. Send me a PM if you are interested. And don’t be scared to make an offer, but don’t me for $800 either. Truck is located near Prescott, AZ, and I'll get pics up as fast as I can.

http://www.m715zone.com/vb/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=240429

Also, couple other things:

1. Being this is a Diesel swap site, and this truck is a prime candidate for a swap (hence I bought it), if you don't want to keep it, know of/have a good home for, or just generally going to eviscerate or destroy the 292 in it for any reason, or are just going to throw a 12 valve in as soon as you get it home, I may pull it and keep it. I know there is a divide on old-school american I-6's: people either cherish them but don't have much use for them like me, or they try and do everything short of Thermite to dispose of them. Many of you on here tend to have this opinion. That's fine, its just this one is a very good motor, they're getting hard to find, and I'd hate to see it wind up in the hands of someone whose just going to scrap it. Heck, they're in-demand for hot rodders & the rat rod crowd these days not doing an SBC, you could sell it to the right guy for a pretty penny!

2. I do also have a set of ramcharger bucket seats if you wanted something that matches and looks a little better. They could use a recover, but are good enough for seat covers on the temporary or semi-permanent basis.

3. The truck has 2 spares, one separate from its wheel, and the trailer has 1 underneath. Lots of wheels & tires you could sell or use for something else, or whatever you wish.

.....And just because this is a 4btswaps with the Detroit remnant we have here, I may consider selling my 353N and all the parts and transmissions and junk to go with him, if someone makes me a sweet offer. I'll send you a PM if you're interested, as I have A LOT more than what I mentioned in my build thread. May post an ad for all of it soon too if it looks like hauling it out will be too much trouble.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm more open to offers and motivated guys, I need this thing gone at the latest by the end of June, probably sooner as they're trying to get us out of our shop by the end of the month, and I really don't want to move this turd to my house. Come load it & the parts up and take it!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Doors & fenders on my shelves
image.jpg
Truck as she sits. Not much has changed, really.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This thing is still for sale, and I posted more pictures. I need this thing gone really soon, ASAP preferred. Have 2 guys interested, but they seem hard to communicate with.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts