1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Vendor
2,650 Posts
Nice. I got to within half degree when installing mine. I isolated at frame instead of box, I used companion flanges and 1410 flange yokes. Ran the chit out of it. Too bad they werent synchronized.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
What model of OD is it? Shifting is relatively easy, just return engine to idle or thereabouts when upshifting with the box in neutral, rev up the engine with the box in neutral slightly on the way down, might grind a little the first few tries. NO 'speed shifting', slow and gentle.

Ed

·
Registered
784 Posts
It will be like shifting a transmission with out using the clutch, only there is no synchros to help you match gear rpm's

·
Vendor
2,650 Posts
Shifting up is fine. Downshifting is a little tough.

·
Vendor
2,650 Posts
Never did, figured tire size and finding proper helical would be difficult, but maybe a variable adjuster. Plugged it and run GPS for speedo.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 76 Ford F250 highboy 4X4 with a Spicer 5831 3 speed auxiliary transmission with 2:1, 1:1 & .73:1, (27% overdrive). It's between a Detroit Diesel 4-53T, NP435 & a divorced NP205. I kept all of the angles the same (within 0.5°) as the engine and 4 speed. The front driveshaft is longer than the rear but I'm hoping it will all work someday.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
2,650 Posts
Did you hook the speedometer cable to auxiliary transmission?
I ran a getrag/watson for double OD (cause R+P was 4.1)1 in one vehicle and going to run a NV5600 in another build. Are you using an OD trans?

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Watson OD trans' are an earlier variety, apparently Spicer/Brown Lipe bought Watson. The 5531, 5831, 6000 series are larger, the torque capacity is rated on the engine torque, i. e. , 550, 580, 600+ foot pounds, according to published literature. The earlier, physically smaller are still very strong if they are not abused. I have heard of a Watson failing behind a 53 series DD in a Studebaker truck, never heard of 'Brownie' failing. The key is to keep the extra large loads in direct, not through the cluster.

My Brownie is a 6231 behind a RTO-610 main behind a DD 4-53T driving a D-80 rear axle.

Ed

1 - 16 of 16 Posts