Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
This looks like a very usefull tool, and well drawn pictures, would be very good for anyone who works on these engines, especially ones that have not recently had the head re-done, as the pictures in #27 show, wear occurs which throws off the feeler gage meathod. Question is how old would an engine be before this would be a concern? Seems like anyone who works on these motors should have it, So do you have an extra? What would you sell it for? I will show this to a couple friends, they might want one
I also thought about whether this would be heavy enough to offset the spring of the indicator but one only needs to start at about 0.050 of deflection
How is it working for everyone, as my comments are 3yrs after the fact ?
Eggman what was the tool called on e-bay
I tried the video but only got a picture
[email protected]......... Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
edit....
Question is how old would an engine be before this would be a concern?
Seems like anyone who works on these motors should have it, So do you have an extra? What would you sell it for?
I will show this to a couple friends, they might want one
I also thought about whether this would be heavy enough to offset the spring of the indicator but one only needs to start at about 0.050 of deflection
How is it working for everyone, as my comments are 3yrs after the fact ?
edit......Thanks
I'd just check for Wear on the rockers and valve stems by pulling the rockers off the pedestals. As for cause probably never changing oil or 500K miles.
I've given away all my extras. Right now I'm still moving into my new shop. The mill/drill needs to be tramed and a lot of other stuff has to happen before I have any play time.
Haven't had any problems with the indicator springs lifting the valve tool, Although I'd like to make one out of cast iron. Or make a collar of steel.
The tool works, what more can I say.

·
Registered
231 Posts
500k miles no oil change. I have finally decided I would respond to that! The only oil I know of that would go that distance is AMSOIL & they would recommend filter changes , go to goodoil4u.com click on online store, select corp website, have fun

·
Registered
231 Posts
I realized you were not saying you had driven 500k with no oil change , that's engine miles,but thought I would take the opportunity anyway

·
Registered
241 Posts
Scout4bta, when you do get back up and going, I would love to get one of these from you, I am having issues with setting lash on my 4bta. I can't get repeatable results on feeler gauges.

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Scout4bta, when you do get back up and going, I would love to get one of these from you, I am having issues with setting lash on my 4bta. I can't get repeatable results on feeler gauges.
Your in the que.

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
41 - 48 of 48 Posts