Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a B3.3-65 horse version naturally aspirated. It powers a hydraulic dredge machine. The problem I am running into is performance at elevation. Looking into fitting a turbo onto this machine to make up for approximately a 20% performance loss at elevation. I haven't been very successful contacting Cummins directly.

Any input on if this is a good idea, and if so, where I can locate parts to make this happen?

Thanks - JB

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a B3.3-65 horse version naturally aspirated. It powers a hydraulic dredge machine. The problem I am running into is performance at elevation. Looking into fitting a turbo onto this machine to make up for approximately a 20% performance loss at elevation. I haven't been very successful contacting Cummins directly.

Any input on if this is a good idea, and if so, where I can locate parts to make this happen?

Thanks - JB
I have the same question I have this engine at a tractor and need more power on it, so can someone explain if we can install a turbocharger tos boost the engine and tell us how. Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes, I have it, but I don't know what other adjustments need to do this change, a can perfectly install the manifolds and turbo, but I'm completely ignorant about injection pump settings or whatever in the performance.
One more thing the tractor is 2012 and haven't ecu just the basic electrical equipment.

·
Super Moderator
9,154 Posts
Yes, I have it, but I don't know what other adjustments need to do this change, a can perfectly install the manifolds and turbo, but I'm completely ignorant about injection pump settings or whatever in the performance.
One more thing the tractor is 2012 and haven't ecu just the basic electrical equipment.
A turbo alone will give you increased efficiency, great improvement at altitude and a little power increase.
If you've got a mechanical fuel pump it's usually pretty easy to increase fuel. Post up a picture of it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for your help Dougan, i will post a picture tomorrow of my injection pump. And absolutely I need more power because my farm is at 8200 feet above the sea.

·
Registered
13,090 Posts
The answer to your question is maybe. First off, you will need different pistons and rings. The turbo engines have different rings than the NA engines. Second, you need to be sure your engine has piston cooling nozzles. It's quite possible that it does but if it doesn't you're dead in the water. Not even totally sure the 3.3 has those but I mention it just in case. Do you have your engine serial number? If so, I can see it it has the same engine block as a turbo model. You'll have to make provision for the turbo oil feed and drain lines. The ports may already be there with plugs in them. You will need a different exhaust manifold to fit the turbo. Really need the serial number for a turbo engine to look up all the necessary parts. Here is one ESN 68309958 for a B3.3T. How much power are you hoping for? And no, this will not be cheap. Here's a photo of a turbo engine. Does this look mostly like yours?

Attachments

·
Registered
13,090 Posts
Well, you may be stuck with what you have. Your engine block has had the following part numbers: C6204211600, C6204211504, and 5254544. The turbo engine which I listed has had the following numbers 4944435 and 4982117. I found another turbo 3.3T industrial ESN 68070982. It has block number 4941114 which yet another variation. They could even be the same but with a different company doing the casting. Only Cummins could tell you for sure. Your engine has a Zexel injection pump and it is totally different than any of the turbo models. One I found has a Bosch VE pump and the other is Zexel A which is different than yours. One thing that complicates this is the manufacturing plant. The old 3.9 engine were built in the Consolidated Diesel Plant in North Carolina which was a joint venture of Cummins and Case tractors. These 3.3 engine are build in the KOM-KCEC factory which is Komatsu Cummins Engine Company in Japan. It is just difficult to determine what all you may get into adding a turbo. Might contact member CrewCab59. He is a Cummins dealer and may have some insight on the 3.3 engines,

·
Super Moderator
9,154 Posts
Regarding the big changes (pistons, rings, piston squirters etc). Those are necessary if you're intending to uprate your engine to full B3.3T power/torque and run it at max power.

If you're after altitude compensation and tune it to run cooler with less power than a full B3.3T then you're going to be fine with stock NA internals and a bolted on turbo.
It all depends on what load you plan to put on it and for how long. A tractor running a mower, hoe or airblast sprayer at max turbo load needs all the factory improvements. The same tractor running at the power level that the non-turbo engine runs at will be fine doing the same work with a turbo and will run leaner and cooler while doing so.
A tractor used to shift dirt (intermittent load) isn't going to blow itself up no matter what you do.

One option might be to bolt in a complete B3.3T and sell your existing engine.

Here's the model of your injection pump:
Product Photo

1 - 10 of 10 Posts