Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well.... figured I'd drop in...

Started wrenching again....

1966 Chevy C10 pickup
Was running/driving 350/T10

Will now be a 2006 Chevy 5.3L LM7 Vortec & 4L60e
Eventually will be power steering, power disc in all 4 corners.
Eventually will be coil over all 4 corners
4" front drop(static)
6" rear drop (static)
Eventually will be boxed and X-membered
Eventually will be 18" wheels (8"w front, 12" wide rear)

Kind of keeping this one on the road... project phases... no more of this 5 year build without ever driving it.... but to no end... I'm BACK IN THE SADDLE!

Oh... and yes i still like pictures.

Reactions: Dougal

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
>> "no more of this 5 year build without ever driving it...."

Good to see you back. I recommend you get it running and spend a whole spring, summer and fall driving it every where. The next winter, you will have a much better idea of where you want to go with your finishing touches.

My F150 hit the road in March, we have driven to 9 states, with the 10th state coming soon. We ran it for a couple of thousand miles, made some changes, then drove it some more. Made some changes so that my short wife (politically correct phrase is "vertically challenged") can comfortably drive and shift the manual transmission. The truck still has the bad primer job that it came with, but, is a great touring vehicle for a retired couple.

Russ

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Welcome back, 47F! Looks like a good find there, nice clean truck. Hope the best on your build.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Cool project even if it is a Cheby.:tongue:

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Interesting inner fenders. I assumed they'd be round like later trucks.

What made you decide to go with a 5.3L and an automatic? Is this an original 350 truck, or was it an inline 6, or smaller V8, from Chevy?

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting inner fenders. I assumed they'd be round like later trucks.

What made you decide to go with a 5.3L and an automatic? Is this an original 350 truck, or was it an inline 6, or smaller V8, from Chevy?
Was an inline 6 truck...looks like at one point it had a big block in it too given the firewall BFH marks. Needs cab corners, rockers, door bottoms and skins.... but for a wisco truck.. I'll take it all day long.

5.3L and automatic is a two fold deal. I like their reliability and availability... along with whatever I learn in the process on engine rebuild will directly keep my daily driver on the road as well. (2012 GMC CC 4x4 5.3) Yes their different with displacement on demand etc... but the majority of it is direct swap stuff.

That and the HP/$ is the cheapest thing known to man... aluminum heads, easily swappable intakes (ls2/ls6) and cam/exhaust options galore. 400 HP is easy street for under $2000 total (engine trans, cam exhaust).

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
I like these better than your last project rig choice-like my opinion counts!:rolleyes: I really like the SS/Alum trim on the rear cab sail panels some have. I always wanted to get one of these and put polished SS trim strips in the grooves in the ceiling. I had a black Ranger and the ceiling in it was painted black as well and had gotten the same show quality finish as the exterior and at night it always got finger prints from my passengers! It looked like you could see stars as if there was nothing above you and it was a crystal clear night. I always thought that same finish in a truck like yours with those SS trim bars would look amazing at night. Anyway enough babbling-glad your back functioning again, I've been through it as well. Drop in here once in a while and show us your new baby-remember we're just like you and like everything that makes motor noises!

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea I'll pop in time to time... but the site seems to have kinda taken a turn for the worst the past few years. (what happened to all the common sense guys is beyond me but)

Reactions: lawnboy

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
Was an inline 6 truck...looks like at one point it had a big block in it too given the firewall BFH marks. Needs cab corners, rockers, door bottoms and skins.... but for a wisco truck.. I'll take it all day long.

5.3L and automatic is a two fold deal. I like their reliability and availability... along with whatever I learn in the process on engine rebuild will directly keep my daily driver on the road as well. (2012 GMC CC 4x4 5.3) Yes their different with displacement on demand etc... but the majority of it is direct swap stuff.

That and the HP/$ is the cheapest thing known to man... aluminum heads, easily swappable intakes (ls2/ls6) and cam/exhaust options galore. 400 HP is easy street for under $2000 total (engine trans, cam exhaust).
They also like boost too lol. Glad to see you back on the forum.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They also like boost too lol. Glad to see you back on the forum.
Yea... long term plan is to defineately at least get a single hair dryer on the thing......twins?.... maybe

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
(what happened to all the common sense guys is beyond me but)
LOL,,,,but it ain't funny is it? Same thing has happened here that's happened to the rest of the country, the internet has turned every punk assed kid with a mouse and key board into Sheldon Cooper. They know everything but have done absolutely NOTHING regarding what they profess so much knowledge about. Some of the older members still try to catch the newbies who have true interest in the hobby as soon as they join and nudge them toward the proper sources. But even that has begun to get old since as soon as the geniuses see someone seeking real information they poison the well with regurgitated, jumbled up, magazine cover stories that they've not understood in the first place-let alone how accurate we all know magazine stories are!:massey::confused:=:nuke::skull:

As far as your new powerplant choice-me likey a lot. I have been very tempted to do one more gasser project with one of them. I'm "blown" away by how much the LS engines can take/put out with a stock engine. And where as a 350 with 150K on the clock made you either walk away from a purchase or figure a rebuild into your offer now means you can reliably count on atleast another 100K out of it!!! And they don't seem to mind RPMs either! I really would like to do an LS 6 speed kit car of some sort or a hunkered down 2 door Cherokee with flared fenders, fat tires and ultra soft comfortable seats.

·
Registered
801 Posts
My old man has the same truck. Were leaving it a little ratty so he can drive it and not worry. Hes had it 10 years. I have a cam swap and suspension lowering planned for it this winter.

Excellent choice on the ls. The power and reliability is silly with those engines.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
What does the big harness going to the top of the engine on the driver's side connect to? That always sticks out on every truck I see with an LS engine. Did GM just bundle all the wires for all the sensors and injectors together in one giant bundle? It looks like you've still got others sitting in that pile, Though.

I don't think I've ever driven a 5.3L, but I drive a 4.8L in a van at work. I wouldn't mine owning one. It seems to have plenty of power. I never have the van loaded heavily, Though.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What does the big harness going to the top of the engine on the driver's side connect to? That always sticks out on every truck I see with an LS engine. Did GM just bundle all the wires for all the sensors and injectors together in one giant bundle? It looks like you've still got others sitting in that pile, Though.

I don't think I've ever driven a 5.3L, but I drive a 4.8L in a van at work. I wouldn't mine owning one. It seems to have plenty of power. I never have the van loaded heavily, Though.
Runs to the computer...

Engine and trans together...

·
Registered
801 Posts
I wanted to ask if the 4" and 6" drop is current or planned? I'd like to know how its dropped currently (plus what parts you used), its about the perfect ride height I'm looking for. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ooooo progress!!!

CPP sheetmetal motor perches
Dirty Dingo Sliders
CPP transmission crossmember
Energy Poly motor and transmission mounts.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Few things done.. drive by wire pedal mounted to still utilize OEM 66' pedal, headers test fitted on, driveshaft, new u joints, new slip yoke to the 4L60e/5.3L hooked up...

1 - 20 of 49 Posts