Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't done this yet and don't even have the tool, but curious. With the barring tool fitting into a hole on the passenger side of adapter plate and the TDC on the driver's side of timing gear box how in the heck do you bar and find TDC easily? Keep barring a 1/2 mm at a time then run over and check pin each time?!!? Doesn't really make sense to me, or am I just missing the obvious? Whatever, it isn't obvious to me and I need to adjust the rockers. Thanks!

JimmieD

·
Registered
808 Posts
My Cummins/Ford and Cummins/GM flywheel housing adapters have the barring port on the drivers side within easy reach of the TDC Pin. My Cummins/Dodge flywheel housing adapters has the barring port on the passengers side a l o n g ways from the barring port.

Cummins sells a kit PN 318675AS which is a Cummins/Dodge Arm Stretch Kit. If you still cant reach the Port and TDC Pin after using the Arm Stretch Kit, in frustration the Arm Stretch kit can be used for the Big One....noose instructions are provided LOL

Paul

·
Administrator
4,162 Posts
I cheat and do it the lazy way with a six point socket & ratchet on the alternator nut and turning it clockwise.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, guys! It's looking like alternator nut or else make a minor mod to my adapter plate.

I looked up the Arm Stretch kit, Paul, but just can't afford it: you can't buy it separate without the Cummins Logo Whoopee Cushion with Sit-Down Reamer Rammer: $871.42 plus shipping, delivered straight to ya....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts