Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im new to the 4bt scene and i was wondering what electronics the 4bt uses for fuel management. Im mainly wondering if it is mostly mechanical or does it use a computer at all for the turbo, or to simply run. Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
im new to the 4bt scene and i was wondering what electronics the 4bt uses for fuel management. Im mainly wondering if it is mostly mechanical or does it use a computer at all for the turbo, or to simply run. Thanks
On the motors with the rotary pump, you'll only need to supply the green wire to the fuel shut-off solenoid with 12v to make it run, everything else is mechanical. I'm not 100% sure about the motors with the inline pump, but I think they only need 12v to pull up on the fuel shut-off solenoid also. HTH

MIke

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so you basically run one wire, and it runs. Thats the coolest thing ive ever heard in my life.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
so you basically run one wire, and it runs. Thats the coolest thing ive ever heard in my life.
you could make it run on 0 wires if you install a cable to the shutdown lever...then just gut the shutoff solenoid valve.

·
Registered
854 Posts
you could make it run on 0 wires if you install a cable to the shutdown lever...then just gut the shutoff solenoid valve.
Mine came with a one-wire alternator, so:

1) One 8 gauge wire from alt to bat
2) one 12 volt to fuel solenoid (when running)
3) one 2 gauge battery cable to starter (plus ground cable, duh...)
4) one wire to solenoid on starter for start function
5) one wire from water temp sender to temp gauge
6) one wire from oil press sender to oil gauge

So....6 wires total,
but anyone short of being clinically brain dead could wire one in.

·
Registered
854 Posts
once push started it would run forever if you kept fuel in the tank

The old 2 cyl John Deere diesels had a small gas "pony motor" used to start the diesel engine. The pony motor ran at 4000+ RPM and had a life span of about 2 years and cost $$$$$ to fix again. Most farmers just park them on a hill and let them roll a bit to start them. If you needed the tractor for several days at a time, you just let it idle when you aren't using it, they burn about a pint an hour at the MOST just idling.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts