Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would be the best starter/basic bolt on performance mods for a 4BT?
Things that can be done before dropping the engine in or after it's in.

I'm thinking a custom 3" exhaust with a Magnaflow muffler, Pyrometer and Boost Gauges, also thinking of a turbo timer. Just read fitty's write up on tuning the pump.

·
Registered
220 Posts
What would be the best starter/basic bolt on performance mods for a 4BT?
Things that can be done before dropping the engine in or after it's in.

I'm thinking a custom 3" exhaust with a Magnaflow muffler, Pyrometer and Boost Gauges, also thinking of a turbo timer. Just read fitty's write up on tuning the pump.
A good free flowing exhaust is a must if you are going to "bomb" the engine. Guages are also a must. You can gain quite a bit of a performance boost by turning up the pump, installing a 3200 rpm spring, and advancing the timing.

Depending on what you want, performance wise, you might want different injectors, and more air.( turbo upgrade, and intercooler, larger diameter intake plumbing)

Mine has a 3500 rpm spring (aftermarket), New Era Diesel 370 injectors, turned up pump with custom fuel pin, 7.3 Powerstroke IC, HE351 turbo, 3" intake plumbing, 4" exhaust from turbo back with Magnaflow 30" long stainless muffler, 60 lb. valve springs. Guages-Autometer Ultralite II-pyrometer, boost, tach, oil pressure, coolant temp, oil temp. Clutch is a Centerforce Ceramic puck type. Don't have Dyno results yet, but will post when I get them.

I don't think you really need a turbo timer though. Just keep your foot out of for a couple of minutes before you turn it off. Can't hurt though.
Bob B.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
turbo timer would be nice for my use when towing on the highway and just going to a rest stop, i take my remote off my keychain so that i can lock it and leave it running. I may have to come up with something...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd like more torque out of the motor.

I'd love to do a full on build of the thing but that will be later.

·
Super Moderator
8,812 Posts
turbo timer would be nice for my use when towing on the highway and just going to a rest stop, i take my remote off my keychain so that i can lock it and leave it running. I may have to come up with something...
Waste of time. You're better just to watch the EGT gauge before you shut it down. The only time I ever have to idle to cool it down is if I've just driven to the top of a hill (usually shuttling mountainbikes). Even then it's only 30 seconds and it's done.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
What Bob and Dougal said on the turbo timer.

I live in the mountains plus have a ridiculous steep long dirt driveway. That means the temps are up just driving home. It only takes seconds for the thing to cool from 600-700 back down to 300, hardly half a minute. Now I'm in the habit of backing off and taking it easy when I know I have a stop/shutdown coming up so it's only a few seconds to wait to shut off.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
i haven't towed my jeep with it yet, but it seems like it'd be pretty hot? it stayed pretty warm for a while with 4k or so behind the durango. my jeep is more like 7k on the trailer.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can see it not being needed but it would be nice.
Not sure about you guys but with the amount of driving I do, sometimes I just want to shut the truck down and get out of it.

·
Registered
220 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts